Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaping at Concerts

Options
  • 14-02-2013 1:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭

So I was at a concert tonight (bloc party in the Olympia) and half way through some gorilla bouncer wante to either confiscate my vamo + rda or kick me out. I was very close to being kicked out as I had no intention of surrendering my device.

Does anyone know what the policy is for electronic cigarettes at concerts? This guy looked like he'd never seen one before, which I can understand, but I didn't appreciate the manhandling and threats at being evicted. In the end I had to promise to keep it in my pocket and not use it again, which I did for fear of losing it but I was pretty pissed off at this.

Has anyone used one in the O2 for example?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭kiffy

rickyjb wrote: »
    So I was at a concert tonight (bloc party in the Olympia) and half way through some gorilla bouncer wante to either confiscate my vamo + rda or kick me out. I was very close to being kicked out as I had no intention of surrendering my device.

Does anyone know what the policy is for electronic cigarettes at concerts? This guy looked like he'd never seen one before, which I can understand, but I didn't appreciate the manhandling and threats at being evicted. In the end I had to promise to keep it in my pocket and not use it again, which I did for fear of losing it but I was pretty pissed off at this.

Has anyone used one in the O2 for example?
    TBH Ricky concerts & cinema's are probably the only places I wouldn't vape openly (maybe stealth if I was dying for a vape) as you can imagine some poor bsartards behind you trying to see ahead keeps getting blocked by a mountain of vapour.

And that is good for me to take other peoples feelings into consideration.
    Anywhere else where peoples vision wouldn't be impaired by my habit I'd vape away.

Not saying your not entitled to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I can't comment on concerts, but I prefer to ask in places before vaping. I have no issues with waiting or going to the smoking area depending on where I'm asking. Cinemas allow them, at least the ones I've been to.

Edit: Kiffy, if you go to the Omniplex by the Crescent shopping centre, Showtime or Odeon I've gotten the go ahead in all three places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭kiffy

Pushtrak wrote: »
    I can't comment on concerts, but I prefer to ask in places before vaping. I have no issues with waiting or going to the smoking area depending on where I'm asking. Cinemas allow them, at least the ones I've been to.

Edit: Kiffy, if you go to the Omniplex by the Crescent shopping centre, Showtime or Odeon I've gotten the go ahead in all three places.
    Cheers Push, hate going to the fliks, the last film I went to see was Gone with the wind when it was first released, don't know what all the fuss was about it, and frankly my dear I didnt give a damn.

But thats good to know if I'm ever dragged to one of them ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

kiffy wrote: »
    Cheers Push, hate going to the fliks, the last film I went to see was Gone with the wind when it was first released, don't know what all the fuss was about it, and frankly my dear I didnt give a damn.

But thats good to know if I'm ever dragged to one of them ;)
    would you download a car....
    vape away

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Yeah, had a couple of moments last year at festivals.
    Security guys are pricks when things are going great - show them something they've not seen before and they react like you're a terrorist. Apparently I was gonna use my mod to cave someone's skull in, no ifs, ands or buts, so I couldn't bring it into the arena.
    A friend slipped it into her bra - can't frisk boobies apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Was in a concert in glasgow over the christmas vaping away with one of the security guards who had a provari.Haven't tried it at any other gig though.As for the cinema,unless i'm sitting at the back i tend not to vape.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

I've used mine in many nightclubs around the country, and last year in the RDS at a pretty big "rave".

Not a thing was mentioned! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Vaperus

The O2 allow them although they are not keen on the look alikes as they look to much like cigs.
    They also only really allow it in the surrounding area not in the seating area

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

I emailed them to complain about the security guard and they said that you're perfectly entitled to use e-cigarettes and he should've known this. Offered me 2 free tickets to a gig of my choice which was pretty decent so not a bad result in the end.

I wouldn't do at the cinema or where it might annoy people but it should be fine at a concert providing you're not blowing it in someone's face.

Offered me 2 free tickets to a gig of my choice which was pretty decent so not a bad result in the end.
    That's a great result! Definitely wouldn't expect a venue or promoters to go that far, how irate did you get?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭illicit007

Good **** rickyjb. I wouldn't stand for someone man handling me or threatening me either. I'd make sure to put in a formal complain and if that didn't do the job I'd progress down legal routes. Usually a well written letter posted via registered post with threats of legal action unless an acceptable resolution can be come up with is all you need to get a business to break and bow down and apologise and do whatever they can in their power to keep you happy. It's much easier and less costly at the end of the day for businesses to make the problem go away than have to be dragged through the small claims court (where they will most likely lose anyway as the law favours the consumer 9 times out of 10).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

I emailed them to complain about the security guard and they said that you're perfectly entitled to use e-cigarettes and he should've known this. Offered me 2 free tickets to a gig of my choice which was pretty decent so not a bad result in the end.

I wouldn't do at the cinema or where it might annoy people but it should be fine at a concert providing you're not blowing it in someone's face.

Print a copy of the response and bring it with you next time.
    Well done for following it up, most people wouldn't bother. By most people I mean me,:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

grindle wrote: »
    That's a great result! Definitely wouldn't expect a venue or promoters to go that far, how irate did you get?

Not very, just said that it ruined a song, didn't appreciate being manhandled or the threat of being thrown out etc.
    illicit007 wrote: »
    Good **** rickyjb. I wouldn't stand for someone man handling me or threatening me either. I'd make sure to put in a formal complain and if that didn't do the job I'd progress down legal routes. Usually a well written letter posted via registered post with threats of legal action unless an acceptable resolution can be come up with is all you need to get a business to break and bow down and apologise and do whatever they can in their power to keep you happy. It's much easier and less costly at the end of the day for businesses to make the problem go away than have to be dragged through the small claims court (where they will most likely lose anyway as the law favours the consumer 9 times out of 10).

I'm happy enough with my 2 free tickets to be honest, it wasn't that big a deal. I've accepted this as compensation already via email, just need to pick what I want tickets for.

...just need to pick what I want tickets for.

Bloody Beetroots!

Trailer Park Boys!

Iron & Wine!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

grindle wrote: »
    Bloody Beetroots!

Trailer Park Boys!

Iron & Wine!

iron and wine are playing in Ireland soon?

May 29th boyo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

hrm... tempting

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

hrm... tempting

Sounds like a candidate for a boards e-Vaping event :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    Sounds like a candidate for a boards e-Vaping event :)

Hmmm May 29, already have Young ,Springsteen and Kilkenny rhythm n roots.
    Still, Iron and Wine!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Adrift

Anyone that vapes at a concert is selfish and deserves to be kicked out. I was at a gig the other night and my chest is now in ribbons thanks to dirtbags vaping all over the Kip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭con747

I think you are about 10 years too late for this thread.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

Advertisement