Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using airport extreme with UPC router ?

Options
  • 13-02-2013 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭

Folks,

Trying to anticipate any possible issues with this. I've just got an airport extreme (want to be able to share out a hard drive for itunes) & have UPC for broadband.

Are there any issues I should anticipate using the UPC router with it?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,802 ✭✭✭squonk

Nope, I'm using that setup. If you have the Cisco router though it's a pile of crap so you might get the odd case where the router loses it's marbles and drops shared volumes. It's rare though and is usually connected with the connection itself going up and down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

You should not use 2 routers together as this causes a double NAT issue.

You can however disable the routing function of either. See if you can put the UPC router into bridge mode. If not then put the AirPort Extreme into bridge mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭OU812

So if I disable the wireless function of the UPC one & hard wire it to the extreme, that should work?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

You need to do a bit more than that. (Which Stainless Steel already mentions)

Turn off wireless on the UPC box then, you need to either:

a) Put the UPC router into bridge mode. Don't ask my how, I have no idea. Have your Extreme handle DHCP, NAT and Wireless
    b) Leave the UPC router and disable DHCP, NAT on the Extreme.

IMO, if at all possible the best solution is 'a'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

+1 for option a.

I am not familiar with the UPC Cisco configuration utility. It may not specifically say bridge mode. But you deffo should be able to disable NAT and DHCP which will in effect give you the same results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,802 ✭✭✭squonk

Some of the older Cisco routers (not sure about the current model) didn't do bridge mode so you had to use DMZ which is awkward. Best case is to put the Airport into bridge mode and have the Cisco handle DHCP etc. and turn off wireless on the Cisco and just let the Airport handle that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Have a look on the Broadband forum fora True Bridge mode EPC3925 tutorial. I have my AIrport Extreme hooked up, it doesn't get rid of all the problems with UPC, but there have been noticeably less headaches for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

What problems with UPC?

Advertisement