Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Allowance in Carlow

Options
  • 13-02-2013 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

I'm not sure if we qualify or not, I had a look at the rent brackets but to be honest I didn't understand them. I live with my boyfriend (and we were stupid and honest enough to inform the welfare we are a couple) and a housemate in a 3 bedroom house in Carlow. The rent is €530 a month. Myself and the bf receive €154 weekly from the welfare each, the housemate receives €100 (he is under 21). We spend very little on our food shopping, we never go out or buy new clothes and we seem to always be behind on bills, many times after we pay bills/rent/buy food/loan we are left with only around €10 left to try to save for emergencies. We don't even have a TV, our only extravagance is our broadband. Does anyone know if we qualify or not or have any advice?

*edit* I have read through the sticky posts with the links and stuff, the thing is I don't really understand them but I think €530 a month might be over the allowed rent bracket, and I think sometimes they make exceptions which may be all we can hope for til we find work!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 greenscene

In Carlow the caps on rent for a couple in shared accomadation is 250 euro per month.

you would not qualify based on the amount of your rent.

Is your boyfriend's and your share 530 euro per month ?
    Or is that the amount of rent in total per month including what your other housemate pays ?

Your getting 154 euro each p/w
    Is this Jobseekers allowance ?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭ShelTomato

greenscene wrote: »
    In Carlow the caps on rent for a couple in shared accomadation is 250 euro per month.

you would not qualify based on the amount of your rent.

Is your boyfriend's and your share 530 euro per month ?
    Or is that the amount of rent in total per month including what your other housemate pays ?

Your getting 154 euro each p/w
    Is this Jobseekers allowance ?

Hi thanks for the reply, yes it's jobseekers allowance we're all receiving, the €530pm is split between 3 of us, we each pay €41 pw rent.

The thing is we just moved here from Dublin before Christmas and our letting agent assured us when we were viewing the house that we would indeed qualify for rent allowance, there was just myself and the bf moving in at the time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

ShelTomato wrote: »
    I'm not sure if we qualify or not, I had a look at the rent brackets but to be honest I didn't understand them. I live with my boyfriend (and we were stupid and honest enough to inform the welfare we are a couple) and a housemate in a 3 bedroom house in Carlow. The rent is €530 a month. Myself and the bf receive €154 weekly from the welfare each, the housemate receives €100 (he is under 21). We spend very little on our food shopping, we never go out or buy new clothes and we seem to always be behind on bills, many times after we pay bills/rent/buy food/loan we are left with only around €10 left to try to save for emergencies. We don't even have a TV, our only extravagance is our broadband. Does anyone know if we qualify or not or have any advice?

*edit* I have read through the sticky posts with the links and stuff, the thing is I don't really understand them but I think €530 a month might be over the allowed rent bracket, and I think sometimes they make exceptions which may be all we can hope for til we find work!

This post makes me sick

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

phkk wrote: »
    This post makes me sick

In what way?

OP - go to the Community Welfare Officer and talk to them and get the form and apply for it. In in Carlow town - the CWO is on the grounds of St Dympna's. If you are over the bridge in Graigue - then the CWO is in the building behind the swimming pool. When you go in - you will see the list of roads that CWO is in charge of and go to the appropriate one.

You are going to have to apply, apply for your medical card also. If refused then appeal - go to one of the TD's, all the usual baloney, tell the TD that you can't even go for job interviews because you don't have to money to pay for the public transport. Fight for it, and then fight some more.
    You are asking for rent allowance on your share of rent - not on the whole amount of the house as you are sharing.

phkk wrote: »
    This post makes me sick

Why?

• Advertisement

Hi thanks for the reply, yes it's jobseekers allowance we're all receiving, the €530pm is split between 3 of us, we each pay €41 pw rent.

The thing is we just moved here from Dublin before Christmas and our letting agent assured us when we were viewing the house that we would indeed qualify for rent allowance, there was just myself and the bf moving in at the time though.

You pay 41 p/w each
    Between you and you partner that's 82 p/w
    Between you and your partner rent is 328 p/m
    The allowed rent for a couple in shared accommodation in Carlow is 250 euro p/m

Your rent allowance will more than likely be refused.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained so speak to CWO anyway.

IMO and experience you won't have any luck.

Also apply to your local council to get on the housing list so at least if you then found cheaper accommodation you could then become eligible.

greenscene wrote: »
    You pay 41 p/w each
    Between you and you partner that's 82 p/w
    Between you and your partner rent is 328 p/m
    The allowed rent for a couple in shared accommodation in Carlow is 250 euro p/m

Your rent allowance will more than likely be refused.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained so speak to CWO anyway.

IMO and experience you won't have any luck.

Also apply to your local council to get on the housing list so at least if you then found cheaper accommodation you could then become eligible.

Shoot. Thanks for explaining it to me, it does seem like we're well over the limit, we wouldn't have moved in if we had known, wonder why the letting agent led us to believe we would be eligible in the first place!

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Cliona99

Shoot. Thanks for explaining it to me, it does seem like we're well over the limit, we wouldn't have moved in if we had known, wonder why the letting agent led us to believe we would be eligible in the first place!

Rent allowance limits were revised downwards not that long ago, maybe he/she was not aware? The rent allowance limit for a couple in Carlow is €450, so you could maybe find somewhere for just the two of you when the lease is up?

Best of luck.

Cliona99 wrote: »
    Rent allowance limits were revised downwards not that long ago, maybe he/she was not aware? The rent allowance limit for a couple in Carlow is €450, so you could maybe find somewhere for just the two of you when the lease is up?

Best of luck.

Great advice. But apply to your local authority to be put on the housing list now. So if you are able to rent somewhere else in the future when applying for rent supplement in the future you 2 will already be on the list.

Advertisement