Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Washing machine drum loose

Options
  • 13-02-2013 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

New in these parts so go easy on me!

Have a Hotpoint Aquarius washing machine that's just out of warranty. It's started rattling pretty badly and actually moving across the floor towards the end of its spin cycle. I suspect the drum is loose.

I rang Hotpoint but the most basic service call is €114, which seems excessive to me to fix a relatively small problem.....I may be wrong of course!

Does anyone know of any other (cheaper) options?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

if it is noisey on the spin with no clothes in the drum bearings are on the way out, just bring one of the drum paddles to 12oc position and press lightly upwards if you feel movement bearings are worn, if its not noisey when spinning empty it needs investigation could be down to a shock or broken spring

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

And if youve been using it with damaged bearings then you more than likely have now damaged the shaft they sit on, far from a relatively small problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Souns like the bearings have dropped alright. Happpened to my Aqrarius reccently too. i think theres an option to get an engineer out and all parts included - id take that. the drum can be expensive. its worth fixing as its a good washer IMO

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Changing bearings on a Hotpoint is probably the biggest job to have to do on the machine, it's not quick, and can require some serious brute force to get the old ones off the shaft, depending on how hard the water is in your area.

Depending on the model, it's possible to get a drum, mounted on the spider, and all in the rear half of the housing, so effectively the hard work has been done, but even fitting that takes some time and effort.

Unless you are seriously into mechanical engineering and have some good mechanic's type tools, this is one for an experienced engineer, though not necessarily a Hotpoint engineer, if that makes sense.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Thnaks for all your help folks!

• Advertisement
Advertisement