Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Someone who quit a job

Options
  • 13-02-2013 7:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭

I understand that if someone quits a job they are not entitled to social welfare for 12 weeks(open to correction).The last time I quit a job was 4 years ago and I was told I would have to wait 6 weeks for social welfare payments but I ended up getting it from a relieving officer after a week.My question is do they still do this? I know im going to be let go from my job(probation failed) but I would rather hand in my notice in case of future job applications I can say that I left to persue my own thing etc.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

You must have suffered a substantial loss of employment in any period of six consecutive days to be eligible for Jobseeker's Benefit. This means that you must have lost at least one day's employment and as a result of this loss be unemployed for at least 3 days out of 6 days. Your earnings must also have been reduced because of the loss of employment. You may be disqualified from getting Jobseeker's Benefit for 9 weeks if you:
    • Left work voluntarily and without a reasonable cause

From here http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/jobseekers_benefit.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

mp22 wrote: »
    You must have suffered a substantial loss of employment in any period of six consecutive days to be eligible for Jobseeker's Benefit. This means that you must have lost at least one day's employment and as a result of this loss be unemployed for at least 3 days out of 6 days. Your earnings must also have been reduced because of the loss of employment. You may be disqualified from getting Jobseeker's Benefit for 9 weeks if you:
    • Left work voluntarily and without a reasonable cause

From here http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/jobseekers_benefit.html

Thanks for that,could I say that I had failed probation anyway or sign onto the dole instead of jobseekers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Thanks for that,could I say that I had failed probation anyway or sign onto the dole instead of jobseekers?

in order to get either jobseekers benefit or jobseekers allowance (the dole) you have to be looking for a job. SW say if you leave a job of your own accord then your not looking for a job, so no dole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    in order to get either jobseekers benefit or jobseekers allowance (the dole) you have to be looking for a job. SW say if you leave a job of your own accord then your not looking for a job, so no dole.

Grand thanks folks gonna let them give me the boot so:D

Advertisement