Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frog mating query

Options
  • 13-02-2013 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

prob the wrong section so i aplogise but....

Where i work there are currently 5-6 pairs of frogs mating and have been all week , the only thing is that they have found their way into an external concrete bund area that is approx 2 ft high on the outside and 3-4 high on the inside. There is no water in here for the spawn but there is a pond onsite about 100 yards away.

should i try and move them ?
    or leave them where they are?

if i leave them then i fear that they won't be able to get out..as we found one or two shrivelled carcasses late on last year in there.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Get them out. It seems to me they've fallen in en route to pond.

they're likely to remain a couple even if handled. The males clinging on o their female with all their might!

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

thought as much but just wanted to make sure.. thnaks Mothman

ok all 31 pairs !!!! relocated with another 10 or so in hiding in there, hopefully the sun i'll bring them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

breghall wrote: »
    ok all 31 pairs !!!! relocated with another 10 or so in hiding in there, hopefully the sun i'll bring them out.
    And hopefully will continue on rather than going back in!!

Had any actually spawned?

I have a trampoline set in ground and frogs end up in there. Actually water in there with water table so high and some so spawn. The pond is "boiling" today with the activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Breghall, would you be able to put a plank or something into that concrete bit, so that it could act as a frog ramp?

• Advertisement

Mothman wrote: »
    And hopefully will continue on rather than going back in!!

Had any actually spawned?

I have a trampoline set in ground and frogs end up in there. Actually water in there with water table so high and some so spawn. The pond is "boiling" today with the activity.

tiny bit of spawn about but not much

kylith wrote: »
    Breghall, would you be able to put a plank or something into that concrete bit, so that it could act as a frog ramp?

unfortunately the area is too big for one plank to work as they are hiding underneath tanks and pumps etc. Also not too sure i'd be allowed either due to it causing a trip hazard etc.

count now is 77 frogs in total after being caught and relocated.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Good on you for rescuing their little froggy asses.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 56 ✭✭maria_81

breghall wrote: »
    unfortunately the area is too big for one plank to work as they are hiding underneath tanks and pumps etc. Also not too sure i'd be allowed either due to it causing a trip hazard etc.

count now is 77 frogs in total after being caught and relocated.

haha, great to hear. Is there any update on this? Have they stayed in the new pond?

ended up moving 103 in total .. they took to the pond and now I'm surrogate to countless little tadpoles with more still to come as not all the spawn is gone yet.

Only problem with moving them, is that the pond got a new visitor.... a great big heron.... i think he had a bit of a field day for a couple of weeks.... anyway the surviving frogs seems to have hopped off back to a local stream ( where they all came from before finding their way into the bund) , guess i'll see them next year again.

Reckon there'll be carnage once the froglets try to get to the stream in a couple of months , they'll have to cross a very busy entrance to get there...hopefully they'll make the charge at night.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 56 ✭✭maria_81

good to hear!

I don't suppose you have any pics?:)

unfortuantely no , not allowed by the company to take pictures..

Advertisement