Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Benbulben, Sligo

Options
  • 13-02-2013 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has any info on the current access situation around Benbulben, best route starting points, parking etc.

Walked up Benwiskin last summer from Gleniff, made my way to Slievemore and then down track to road from disused mines. The track was marked No Access/Private but I wasn't about to change route plans at that stage as it was getting late.

Beautiful area, but what's current status on access?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

can't help you mate but i would like to hear the answer as i'd like to head up there at some stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

I found the directions in this post really good. Did the walk last October I think.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65979618&postcount=13

I've also attached an aeriel photo and I've included the main points based on the info in Scarlet42's post:

A is Luke's bridge
    B is the steep rise from the valley by a nice waterfall that takes you to the plateau.
    C is the cliffs looking out to sea.

No access issues on this route at all. Great view from the top. The steep bit only takes a few minutes. Bit boggy in the valley but there's a bog road for about half the walk from the car (park at Luke's brige - small concrete bridge - car park/layby just before it.

The road with luke's bridge wasn't on my satnav but if definitely exists!

Round trip was about 11km if I recall and it took just a few hours. Maybe 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭xtralong

Eglinton, many thanks for the route info and aerial photo, looking forward to trying that route soon.

Went up Benbulben yesterday via King's Gully side which resulted in shorter drive to start point.
    Found some good info. online with suitable start point: http://www.walkingworldireland.com/routepdf/Benbulbin.pdf
    I asked at the B&B mentioned in the article if I could park and use the gate for access and there wasn't a problem.
    Nice route especially scrambling up the gully which was dry, great views from the top especially from the triangular area SW of the summit.

View from start of the track attached showing Kings Gully and Kings Mountain to the West.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MUFC4Life2013

Sorry for digging up an old thread but does anyone know the route to the mines on Benbulben? I've been looking online for ages but can't find anything

Advertisement