Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to vaping but coughing

Options
  • 13-02-2013 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

I am vaping a week and am delighted I am no longer smoking. I bought the Ego Twist from ezsmoke.ie with a selection of 16mg liquids. Very happy with the device and service.

Thing is I have been coughing which I wasn't when smoking cigarettes and I feel a bit caught up in the chest. I heard it may be the VG that is doing this. Is that true? Can I get liquids with a higher concentrate of PG, can anyone recommend a liquid or a site that shows the percentages contained within.
    I want to keep vaping but currently the side effects are a tad annoying.
    Any help appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭richardw001

What you have to separate - are the effects of giving up the cigarettes with the effects of vaping. some people can have allergies to PG however that is supposedly very rare.
    Depending on how heavy a smoker you were you could be coughing for a while yet while your lungs clear out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

I coughed for a couple of days, it was a combination of my lungs clearing from the ciggies, and the new thing hitting my lungs (the vapour). It stopped after a few days. You have to 'drag' off them a bit different from a smoke too, it does take a little getting used to.

Generally PG causes the allergies in rare cases, haven't seen anything about VG anywhere, but obviously worth reading up on for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

If you're inhaling directly to the lungs (as a lot of smokers do, it's what catches about half of vapers starting out) stop it.
    Inhale into your mouth like a cigar, a long slow drag, then inhale fully if you want, but most of the nic is carried through the mucous membranes in your mouth, so it's not necessary unless you like the filled-up-lung feeling.
    Exhale through the nose for full flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭illicit007

Yip what Grindle said. A few smokers I hand an ecig too cough because they do a full lung hit right away. I say to people do a mouth inhale, then try inhaling it into your lungs. Or do a mouth inhale and let it come out your mouth and inhale it in your nose (a french inhale I think it's called), it's worth a try. Some flavours I vape this way :) Vaping is much better than smoking so stick with it.

Also you can try getting a juice with a lower nicotine concentration. You can try getting a 100% VG juice and another 100 PG juice and and a 50/50 mix and see what the differences are there. For me I like 50/50 and 12mg or less nicotine. I always seem to take a long drag into my mouth (like 5 seconds) then remove the e-cig from my mouth and inhale the vapour down, then exhale immediately. Sometimes, I'll inhale in the nose or exhale out the nose for a bit of a change :)

Good luck!! Stick with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭lahalane

It could be just the after effects from giving up real cigarettes. When I havent smoked a proper cigarette for a while, I cough more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Could be.
    Your body has to acclimatise in a big way over the next few weeks. It'll work itself out.

One other person recently complained on here of developing a rash and something up with her lips too (maybe caused by dryness). Anyway she said she went to her doctor next and he said it's normal for peoples bodies to react that way when they give up smoking and it should sort itself out / go away naturally over the coming days. So then after a few days she posted again, sure enough her symptoms went away and it did infact appear to be the results of her body reacting to quiting smoking and not vaping, because she still vaped and had no problems.

So yea... it could be. It's another possibility anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 loopygirl

Thanks for all the feedback, very helpful guys, I will take it all on board and def stick with vaping!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

loopygirl wrote: »
    Thanks for all the feedback, very helpful guys, I will take it all on board and def stick with vaping!

Went through it all myself recently, was quite sick for a good week.Gave up the cigs and started vaping over 3 weeks ago.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

If you think you have a medical issue you should always consult your GP.

With that said, stopping smoking will cause a cough for most people. I found a good cough bottle, especially an expectorant like Exputex or my favourite Buttercup, help clear that phlegm out.

Also, vaping can really dry your throat out and dehydrate you a little, especially at the start. So drinking plenty of water can help.

• Advertisement

Steven made a good point there. Vaping definitely dehydrates you. Like when you exhale vapour I believe some of your own moisture is carried out in the vapour, so make sure to drink more water. You'll probably start to notice vaping has this effect now that you are aware of it. All people new to vaping should be made aware of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

I've been using the wingnuts brand and the 'pear drops juice' makes me cough, fine with all the other ones, which is a shame because it's lovely but I'll soldier on with it, worth it for the taste :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 neveren8888889

I am having the same issue but I was a vaper for about 8 months with no problems but now I can NOT inhale without coughing. everytime I try I cough I went back to smoking I don't understand why it didn't bother me before. a tickle itchy feeling in the back of my mouth causes me to cough if anyone knows any reason or any way to help please post.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Could be just being of actual real smokes. I'm on and off with my ecig tbh, trying again this week. But when I was off real smokes for about a day or two, I'd be coughing like mad, its just the break up and your body breaking it down afaik.

The tips on how to inhale are excellent, learned day I got mine, nearly blew the face of myself inhaling to my lungs. To be honest thats the key for me, getting a throat hit, but I hold in the mouth, inhale then exhale through the nose and think its great. I don't actually inhale mmuch to the lungs if you get me.

Although noticed my one gives of **** all vapor

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Ask your doctor.

Coulda woulda shoulda stuff here, and the advice will be biased. PS I'm a vaper.

Zombie thread!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Finding the same issue myself
    Vapng only now 9 months and found I have developed a cough in the last 8 weeks that I cannot shift.
    I use wingnuts ,mainly mighty menthol and I am beggining to wonder if that is contributing.Or if i am overusing my heads ,rotate between a JustFog maxi Clearomiser and an Aspire BDC.

Its a tickly cough at the back of my throat and sweets,cough bottles ,cups of tea are doing nothing to solve the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 neveren8888889

I have solved the issue I tried full vg didn't solve the issue but odd enough full pg did. most people will say this will not work but try it it work for me now!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Finally found the solution to my cough
    unbelievably it turned out to be an allergic reaction to Pollen
    Apparently being a 20 plus a day smoker was hiding this allergy for years , I started taking a tablet for hayfever and cough disappeared ,if I stop taking the hayfever medicine for 2 days the cough comes back !

So apparently if you suffer badly from Hayfever take up smoking !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭JH_raheny

That just cleared something up for me too, never had hayfever before and have suffered it a bit this summer ( vaping 7 months now )
    Apparently being a 20 plus a day smoker was hiding this allergy for years , I started taking a tablet for hayfever and cough disappeared ,if I stop taking the hayfever medicine for 2 days the cough comes back !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

Yeah deffo the cilli on your lungs producing mucus to clear out the ****e! A good sign too as it means you havent killed off the "hairs" in your lungs.

Im bringing up a serious amount of mucus at the moment, i was 2 weeks smoking 4 a day then gave up totally and just using the little joy ego crystal.

It deffo dehydrates you too but im in Saudi Arabia at the mo so im drinking water at a crazy rate so i dont notice it as much, only problem is there is no Exputex here or anything like it, im off to Istanbul tomorrow on a visa run and they have it there under a different name.

I actually went flat out smoking before i gave them up, 17 euro for 400 benson here haha

the only thing that turns me off it is the liquid, it was a nice golden brown when i poured it in, after a few days it goes a manky brandy brown

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

Snap - last 2 or years its gotten me both in spring and autumn like a kick in the nuts, never happened when I was smoking, go figure, probably the amount of mucus while smoking was trapping the Pollen before hitting the sinus areas.

Oh and I've come down with proper viral Flu's which I have never caught before, for probably the same reason.
    I actually went flat out smoking before i gave them up, 17 euro for 400 benson here haha

You were bring ripped off ! Only 13 euro here for 400 Marlboro until recently (16 euro now) local fags are half the price though. Vaping is ridiculously expensive in comparison but its massively popular :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

Hey OP, I was worried about that too! But when I was at the GP with my girlfriend getting check ups coz she was pregnant at the time she told me it's just your body clearing itself out. It'll pass eventually, give it a few weeks. :)

Advertisement