Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for advice Please

Options
  • 13-02-2013 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭

Hi

Just looking for a small bit of advice please. I am currently working in a Job which i absolutely Hate, and every morning i wake up feeling sick at the thoughts of going in to it. I can't sleep at night time either thinking about it. This has been going for for the past couple of weeks and I have decided to leave the Job and return home to a different part of the country.

Would i be entitled to apply for Job seekers Benefit, considering i gave up a Job in the eyes of the Social welfare, Or would i need a doctors cert to show i was stressed out from the job, which is why i gave it up. I have worked for the past two years so i would have enough stamps to qualify for Job seekers Benefit.

I will be looking for work in my home town area, Its just i really want to get away from this Job as soon as i can, But i don't know really want to do.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Sue Ellen

You can apply for JSB as long as you satisfy the conditions of the claim, available, fit and actively looking for work.
    You can be disallowed for up to the first 9 weeks as you left the job voluntarily(up to the officer). You can put your case to the officer and use the letter from the doctor to back this up. The letter will have to state you are fit for work though, otherwise you won't qualify for JSB.
    Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Sue thanks so much for the reply.

I spoke to the citizens advice today and they said I would not be able to claim as I left my job on my accord. I mentioned what if I got a letter from the doctor and she said I would need to go down the illness benefit route, which I don't want to do as I'm not really I'll.

I asked about the section on the form which says why did you leave your employment and asked do they check up on that, and she said they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

If you leave work voluntarily or as a result of misconduct you cannot get a jobseeker’s payment for 9 weeks. However, if you have ‘good cause’ to leave voluntarily, for example, any changes in working conditions such as a reduction in pay, harassment or abuse from your employer, you may get your payment. The Deciding Officer in your social welfare local office will decide whether you had good cause to leave voluntarily.http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/signing_on.html

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Sue Ellen

If you leave voluntarily they will send a form to your employer. I would assume yours would say you left of your own accord and your information would be used by the deciding officer to determine the lenght of the disallowance, if any, that would be applied. Once the disallowance has expiered you would be able to claim at a normal rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Also if you leave and wait till you move home to claim it will look like you really packed the job in just to move home. Looks like your going to be caught for the 9wk dis-allowance but who knows for sure.

• Advertisement

Thanks folks for the replies . Don't think it's a risk I can take so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

bigron2109 wrote: »
    Sue thanks so much for the reply.

I spoke to the citizens advice today and they said I would not be able to claim as I left my job on my accord. I mentioned what if I got a letter from the doctor and she said I would need to go down the illness benefit route, which I don't want to do as I'm not really I'll.

Go down this road for a month - by the time you leave the job, move home and start searching for work. Going out a disability benefit for a few weeks would get you out of a bind. It is a simple thing to do to sign off disability and then back into the dole office to sign on or go straight into a new job the following day.

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    Go down this road for a month - by the time you leave the job, move home and start searching for work. Going out a disability benefit for a few weeks would get you out of a bind. It is a simple thing to do to sign off disability and then back into the dole office to sign on or go straight into a new job the following day.
    So are you saying, Quit the Job, Go on illness benefit for a few weeks, and then wait and Go on job seekers Benefit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭tony81

Why don't you try to address the problems you are having at work? Some counselling may help. You should also not try to hoard annual leave - take a 2-week block during the year rather than many half-days here and there.
    In the meantime be on the lookout for opportunities closer to home.

Advertisement