Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part Time Benefit?

Options
  • 13-02-2013 2:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,

I'll make this as short as possible. I'm 27. I've just been offered a part time job, 2 days a week. It would involve moving and paying for accommodation. I'm currently unemployed and on benefit of 188 a week. This new job would pay 300 for the two days but like I said it would incur costs such as rent and bills.

I returned from the States in June of last year and found part time employment immediately earning 500 for 3 days work. I then began to get part time benefit also, it was 30 euro a day for every day not worked. I then became unemployed again in September and resumed the 188 a week.

I was just wondering, am i still eligable for the 30 a day if I go part time or does it stop after a certain period?

Any help you would be able to give me would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

You can go back on the part-time benefit payment again. I presume you had to fill in a "noughts and crosses" form when you were last on that scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mike54321

Thank you very much for your response.

Yes I did, I had to fill out what days I was working. The reason I was asking was because I tried to read up on it, and I thought it said somewhere that you can only claim benefit for 9 months of the year. Also people were saying if you earned over a certain amount you wouldn't be entitled to anything.

It's just without that extra 90 a week this job may not be viable and I don't want to commit or move away from home unless I know I can afford to

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mike54321

Sorry I have two more questions. Any help would be very much appreciated.

I'll be working part time earning 300 for the two days work. Would I be entitled to some accommodation benefit? Also I will not be paid until the end of the first month, would I be able to stay on 188 until I get paid or would I have to change as soon as I gain employment?

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Sue Ellen

If you are on Benefit you would get €112.80 per week where you work 2 days. If you are on jobseekers Allowance you would only get €32 per week.

Once you change to a casual claim you will only get paid based on your work pattern and then claim could be suspended for a while in order to have a means decision made.
    I not sure on the rent.

Advertisement