Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking for a good mechanic!!

Options
  • 12-02-2013 11:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭

hey guys had the motor in at the nct failed on a few minor issues was wondering if anyone can recommend a good but not an overpriced mechanic in either lerick city or county thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Try posting thisn on the motors or car maintenance forums. some really sound chaps on there. BTW what did it fail on and what make/model of car is it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭xxlauraxxox

washman3 wrote: »
    Try posting thisn on the motors or car maintenance forums. some really sound chaps on there. BTW what did it fail on and what make/model of car is it.

cheers for that it failed on a break wheel unit on the offside rear cos it was defective/sticking im useless dont even no what that mean lol my car is a skoda fabia 2002

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Just the one fault then. You do have 28 days before retest but since its an important safety issue try to get it done in the next few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭xxlauraxxox

the guy in nct said it wasnt a major issue was a minor one i dunno just wanna get it sorted as nct is out a few weeks lol

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

hey guys had the motor in at the nct failed on a few minor issues was wondering if anyone can recommend a good but not an overpriced mechanic in either lerick city or county thanks :)

RS Auto in Clondrinagh are pretty good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,196 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

RS Auto in Clondrinagh are pretty good.

I think they are closed or in the process of closing. It was already mentioned in the Limerick Businesses Closed thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

bazz26 wrote: »
    I think they are closed or in the process of closing. It was already mentioned in the Limerick Businesses Closed thread.

Really? Sign of the times I suppose.Always seemed to be busy enough in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

I use Pat Doran in Meanus.. did a pre test service on my 03 car and it sailed through

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭kiersm

Pat Murphy in Clondrinagh. I've found him v good & not overpriced

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭whitewave

Brendan Butler in Rhebogue/Corbally is great, really decent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

I'll second Pat Murphy, nice guy to deal with and ive always found him very good over the years

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Seamus McGrath knows his stuff, now operating out of 12 Sexton Street for the last couple of months, 061319319

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sleeping village

whitewave wrote: »

I beg to differ on this one -
    My brakes went a couple of years back while driving through Rhebougue, managed to get it to this guys place. I explained that the brakes were gone, but he refused to take car in as he was closing for weekend. I asked could I leave the car there until the following week until he could look at it, as it was unsafe to drive, but again he refused. So I had to drive myself and one year old child to a garage in Thomondgate with no brakes....So "decent" does not apply in this case

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭whitewave

My brakes went a couple of years back while driving through Rhebougue, managed to get it to this guys place. I explained that the brakes were gone, but he refused to take car in as he was closing for weekend. I asked could I leave the car there until the following week until he could look at it, as it was unsafe to drive, but again he refused. So I had to drive myself and one year old child to a garage in Thomondgate with no brakes....So "decent" does not apply in this case

That's a pity. I found he was more than fair with me - very helpful with work I needed done, fitted around the hours that I was free, refused to take a tip and then told me to call back in the day before the NCT to do the basics - oil, fluids, pressure, take off the hupcaps and all that. Pity he wasn't as obliging during your experience

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭BobMc

In fairness theres a liability issue with leaving your car on the premises, everyone cant help everyone in all situations

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Seamus McGrath knows his stuff, now operating out of 12 Sexton Street for the last couple of months, 061319319

Is Seamus himself back in the mechanic trade? I thought that Dan took over his business years ago when Seamus went to work at a dealership.

Man does know his stuff though, actually both men named do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Kess73 wrote: »
    Is Seamus himself back in the mechanic trade? I thought that Dan took over his business years ago when Seamus went to work at a dealership.

Man does know his stuff though, actually both men named do.

He had his head stuck under my yoke last week, not 100% sure if he is in overalls all day but he is certainly there, at worst overseeing what's going on
    If Seamus can't find the fault, it's not worth finding

• Registered Users Posts: 45 neverwasser

BobMc wrote: »
    In fairness theres a liability issue with leaving your car on the premises, everyone cant help everyone in all situations

I always found Brendan decent and very good with no bullsh*t. I do know that he is extremely busy and you have to book in advance to get in there which is a clear sign he is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 scannyman

Thank God Seamus is back on the tools!! Had my jeep in with him today and has done a fantastic job. Even though I grew up across the road from him, he is a genuine, no bull**** mechanic and is very reasonable too. As previous posters said, he know his stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭jimf

wingnut wrote: »
    I use Pat Doran in Meanus.. did a pre test service on my 03 car and it sailed through

have to second this first class mechanic booked in job done out in time no messing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 bbcl

Rory Browne in Ballyneety

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I'll 3rd Pat Doran go to him the whole time no nicer fella has to be said

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭The Waxbill

whitewave wrote: »

I'm afraid I had a very bad experience with Brendan Butler just yesterday. I had phoned Brendan 2 weeks ago asking him to have a look at a suspension problem I was having with my car. He said he was very busy and the soonest he could fit me in was the 7th Feb, yesterday. that was fine with me as it wasn't urgent.

I arrived at the garage yesterday and before I could even get out of my car the passenger door opened and I was greeted by Brendan. The conversation after that went like this:

Brendan: 'Well'
    Me: 'Oh hello Brendan, how's it goin?'
    Brendan: Your not expecting me to do anything with that now, are you?'
    Me (slightly taken aback): 'Ah, yes I was hoping you could take a look at it as we discussed?'
    Brendan: 'Not a hope, come back tomorrow and I'll try and have a look at it but I won't be able to sort it out'
    Me: 'oh ok, ah when do you think you might be able to sort me out?'
    Brendan: ' It will be at least another 2 or 3 weeks anyway'
    Me: ' Oh ok, that's fine, sure I might as well leave it here now and you can take a look at it tomorrow so?'
    Brendan (getting a bit aggressive at this stage): 'No, take it out of here, I have no room here for it'
    Me (a bit bemused at this stage): 'But Brendan, you told me bring the car here today, 2 weeks ago?'
    Brendan (very aggressive now, almost shouting): Do you have any idea how busy I am? Get it out of here.'

At this point he slammed the passenger door shut on me. I'm sitting in the car wondering what just happened there, in shock. As I was reversing out of the drive, just wanting to get out of there to be honest, he came back over to the car, again really aggressive and shouted in the window, 'there's plenty of other garages'. Against my better judgement I engaged him then (I should have just got out of there) and said to him 'that's very poor customer service Brendan, if you only knew how many customers I have sent your way'. He replied 'don't send anymore' and told me to clear off. ' I replied by saying 'I hope it stays fine for you Brendan.' I duly obliged but as I'm trying to negotiate my way out of his drive he gets into another car and practically forces me out with the other car.

It was total madness to be honest. I have no idea what I did to upset the guy. I'm still in shock today, it was a terrible experience. I couldn't put a number on the amount of customers I have sent his way over the years as in the couple of times he did work on my car before I found him to be fair. All of my family use him, many of our work colleaugues use him and all on my recommendation. Needless to say he lost more than one customer yesterday. It won't matter to him as he's obviously overloaded with work.

I hope nobody else ever has to go through what I did yesterday, it was a very nasty experience.

Brendan

Advertisement