Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Split monitor; stutter in one monitor

Options
  • 12-02-2013 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭

Hi everybody. I'm currently having the problem in the title.

Basically, I've bought a splitter from eBay. When I connect it up, both outputs work but one of the monitors (my actual PC monitor) have this stutter (pic sample of the same 'stutter' below), but the other output which is my TV works perfectly. Even if I swap the outputs at the back of the splitter, it still does the same thing: my PC monitor still stutters and the TV is perfect.

Any ideas of what the problem is?

If any specs are needed in order to identify the problem, please do ask away. Thanks a lot in advance.

EDIT: still trying to find a pic that resembles my problem. Can't seem to find one on the internet. It's basically black horizontal lines going across my monitor. The lines are constantly moving.

EDIT2: The following are my best attempts to capture the lines using my camera.

PIC1: Just below the clouds
    xgmglj.jpg

PIC2: If you divide the picture into three horizontal division, you can see the lines on the top division.
    1037n2h.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

They are called scanlines fyi. Try setting the refresh rate to 50hz and then check your monitor is on that too.

Splitters arent really all that great, I dual output GPU isnt that expensive, might be worth considering(eg 6450).

• Registered Users Posts: 81,784 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Is this a VGA splitter perchance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭LeakingLava

I am using a powered VGA Splitter so I didn't think I'd have this problem. Would that 50Hz have any problem with my TV? I'm not sure if I can set my TV to 50Hz too.

I'm currently using 2 PC monitors, extended display. Can I use a third output from my 7850 to duplicate my second monitor? Not too sure if I can do that.

Anyone else..? Thanks in advance for those who can help. :)

Are you trying to do this(to be clear)?

7850-VGA-Splitter-| [Monitor1 and tv]
    .....|-Monitor 2
    .....|-Empty

• Advertisement

I'll just clear it up. I'm a bit confused with what you've asked. I'm sorry.

7850 DVI out -> DVI-HDMI cable -> Monitor 1.
    7850 VGA out -> VGA cable -> Powered VGA splitter -> Monitor 2 and TV.

All resolutions are equal; 1920 x 1080. Specs of VGA splitter says something about 250Hz.

I didn't use another output of the 7850 as I am unsure if I can do a duplicated AND an extended screen at the same time.

EDIT: That configuration was wrong. Please refer to post #16 for the correct configuration.

Anyone else got an idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I'd avoid using vga completely where possible.

There are too many things that can degrade picture quality with it.

The cable length, vga connections and bandwidth limit can all degrade picture quality.

I'd stick to digital transmission at 1080p.

BloodBath wrote: »
    I'd avoid using vga completely where possible.

There are too many things that can degrade picture quality with it.

The cable length, vga connections and bandwidth limit can all degrade picture quality.

I'd stick to digital transmission at 1080p.

Do you think I'd be able to duplicate and extend screens at the same time using my 7850 though? I really doubt that it could work that way you see. That's why I don't want to buy something that I doubt would work(I'd need to buy a mini DisplayPort adaptor in order to try it out).

What 7850 is it?

What outputs does it have?

• Advertisement

D-Sub Output : Yes x 1
    HDMI Output : Yes x 1
    Display Port : Yes x 2 (Mini DP)

It's the Asus 7850. http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/HD7850DC22GD5/#specifications

That card doesn't have a vga out.

How are you getting vga from this?

That card doesn't have a vga out.

How are you getting vga from this?

Oh sorry, that d-sub output is through a DVI-VGA adaptor. Totally forgot about that.

Three outs are:

DVI
    HDMI
    2 Mini DisplayPort

I still don't see how you are getting 3 screens from 1 Dvi connection?

I still don't see how you are getting 3 screens from 1 Dvi connection?

Yeah, even I am a bit confused with what you're asking now. Sorry.

HDMI port - HDMI-DVI cable - DVI input into monitor 1.

DVI port - DVI-VGA adaptor - VGA Cable into splitter - 2 VGA cables to TV and to Monitor 2.

Setup is, Monitor 1 is extended to Monitor 2 and Monitor 2 is cloned onto TV.

Hope I've cleared that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

ati cards have only 2 clocks built into them. to run 3 screens you need 3 htz clocks.

to run 3 screens you will need to use one of your display ports and one active display port adapter (passive display port adapters wont work)

connect it like this.

dvi -> dvi to vga adapter -> tv
    hdmi -> hdmi to dvi adapter -> monitor 1
    display port 1 -> active display port adapter with vga output -> monitor 2

the active display port adapter has a clock built into it. this gives you that 3rd clock you need

ati cards have only 2 clocks built into them. to run 3 screens you need 3 htz clocks.

to run 3 screens you will need to use one of your display ports and one active display port adapter (passive display port adapters wont work)

connect it like this.

dvi -> dvi to vga adapter -> tv
    hdmi -> hdmi to dvi adapter -> monitor 1
    display port 1 -> active display port adapter with vga output -> monitor 2

the active display port adapter has a clock built into it. this gives you that 3rd clock you need

Would Catalyst Control Centre allow me to configure it the way I would like them to be configured?

Would Catalyst Control Centre allow me to configure it the way I would like them to be configured?

Displaymon would.

ED E wrote: »
    Displaymon would.

Okay thanks. Do you think there's any other way I could make my setup work? It's just that, I've already bought this so I would like to try everything I can first before buying another item.

Also, do you think China eBay 'active mini DP adaptors' are ok?

Not that I can think of.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    Not that I can think of.

Do you think the length of the VGA cable going to the TV matters? I think it's about 15m or something. But then again it isn't the TV that gets these scanlines; it's the monitor that does which is why I ruled that out.

aahhhhh :(

Do you think the length of the VGA cable going to the TV matters? I think it's about 15m or something. But then again it isn't the TV that gets these scanlines; it's the monitor that does which is why I ruled that out.

aahhhhh :(

Ooh, you didnt say that before.

Yes, very much yes. 15 run for a VGA is pretty long. You'd be picking up a load of EMI with that. I'm not sure what kind of noise shielding vga uses but I assume its possible that the noise is being accounted for on that run but is leaking onto the other side of the splitter and not being accounted for there.

For long lengths you really want to be running HDMI tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,784 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

That is actually a situation where Monster-brand cables actually become useful. For most other things the cables are a monster-sized ripoff, but they are given all of the best shielding materials and whatnot.

Dang. Thanks a lot you guys. I would have to find a shorter cable then I guess. Pity. Again, thanks a lot.

Advertisement