Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OU in IT

Options
  • 12-02-2013 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

I am currently in DIT. I don't see myself sticking it out. I'm only in first year but I have done another year in another college doing computer science and now I'm doing more or less the same.

it is something I want to study but the whole college thing/learning environment just isn't for me. I've learnt more by myself from books, youtube and especially thenewboston channel on youtube then I ever have in college which is why I think maybe the OU is for me.

Would a degree from the OU give me a good chance of getting a job or would you think I'm better off sticking to DIT?

Also, the first thing I'm looking at is "My Digital Life" I'm not 100% sure of the specifics but hopefully I can get some exemptions due to the amount of exams I have passed already in Java Programming, Object Oriented Programming etc. Is that possible?

Last question is...emigration has always been on my mind. I've family in Australia and I've been many times and would love to stay there but I cannot afford the international student fees. Would it be possible to sign up for the english OU and study it over there? And continue to do so or are there things I need to attend in Ireland/UK?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If you've already done a programming course, My Digital Life will have you wanting to murder people. Its designed for morons, to be brutally honest about it.

I had to do it as the only credit available for professional certification still didn't remove it from being a compulsary module. Biggest waste of time ever. Went to two of the tutorials and gave up because it was rehashing stuff I'd done two weeks earlier. Got a distinction despite just writing to word count on the assignments. The final "programming" assignment took half an hour, 20 minutes of which was fighting the horrendous string "handling" (basically, it doesn't) of the crippled programming language you're made use.

I'd suggest it'd be best to finish the year in DIT and do a credit transfer to avoid doing the Level 1 modules with the OU at all. The second level modules are not so hilariously basic and they're also not difficult to get in to either - the second module I ever did with them was a Level 2.

the IT courses don't seem to be available in Australia: http://www3.open.ac.uk/courses/countries/Australia.shtm , although for L1/L2 there's no exams and only optional evening or weekend tutorials for some modules; all others are done online, so you could register with your Irish address. Price is the same now worldwide so they're unlikely to care. You'd need someone to post the books over to you although they're now basically all available in ebook format from their Android app.

I would check with the OU first before assuming you will get exemptions - as far as I know you need to have completed your course to gain exemptions (if it is a four year course you need to complete the full four years to gain an exemption)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

OU is also horrifically expensive compared to other distance learning options.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭McGarnagle92

Stheno wrote: »

what other options do I have for doing a similar course?

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭brownmini

Stheno wrote: »

The cost of the OU has jumped so much in the last two years - its shocking.
    I am genuinely shocked at the cost of doing a 30 point course this year.
    One of the reasons I started in the OU was cost and convenience of
    studying at home - another was recognition of a degree in Ireland and UK.

I did several 30 pointers over 7 years and they were around 385/465
    Sterling which ended up around 600/700 Euro because Irish students don't
    cause the OU to get the student subsidy from the UK government.

I got the impression that the OU got into the Irish market because the
    relative cost was lower and less hassle than attending classes 3 nights a
    week etc. in a university building.

<Opinion>
    Sadly it now looks like the cost is going the other way and one of the
    biggest reasons that the OU scored over local universities has been lost.

Am I wrong?

• Advertisement

I am currently in DIT. I don't see myself sticking it out. I'm only in first year but I have done another year in another college doing computer science and now I'm doing more or less the same.

Would a degree from the OU give me a good chance of getting a job or would you think I'm better off sticking to DIT?

I would like to see you stick with DIT.

cannot afford the international student fees. Would it be possible to sign up for the english OU and study it over there? And continue to do so or are there things I need to attend in Ireland/UK?

You can study with the OU almost anywhere.
    The price of the course may vary a bit though.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

OU's prices have risen due to the UK govt. cutting funding for higher education massively. There's a vague chance it'd come back to normal if Labour get in next time, but I wouldn't count on it.

Advertisement