Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fallout 3 Game of the Year keeps crashing when starting up a new game

Options
  • 12-02-2013 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭

(Dont know if this is the right place mods please move it if it isnt)So as the thread would Imply fallout three keeps crashing every time I try to start a new game on steam I've re installed, verified it, tried writing in the game file inumhw thing and still no joy.Its extremely frustrating any ideas at all would be greatly appreciated

I'm playing on a laptop so it might be the machine but it runs newer games like Fallout new vegas and darksiders 2 perfectly fine.
    Here the specs

Operating System
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 2450M @ 2.50GHz 49 °C
    Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
    RAM
    4.00 GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)
    Motherboard
    Hewlett-Packard 1841 (U3E1)
    Graphics
    Generic PnP Monitor (1280x768@60Hz)
    Intel HD Graphics Family
    Hard Drives
    466GB Hitachi HTS547550A9E384 (SATA)
    Optical Drives
    hp DVD A DS8A8SH
    Audio
    IDT High Definition Audio CODEC
    I'm not great with computers but I think they should be up to spec for the game

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Had this exact problem, found a solution but I'm in work at the moment and can't remember the page I had bookmarked.

It had to do with a missing file IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Pretty sure this was the fix I used. http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Fallout_3#Game_Crashes_Randomly
    D3D9.dll Replacement
    1. Start the installer in compatibility mode for Windows XP SP3 and as an Administrator.
    2. Download D3D9.dll from MediaFire or a similar source.
    3. Place D3D9.dll in the directory that contains Fallout3.exe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Menelaun wrote: »
    (Dont know if this is the right place mods please move it if it isnt)So as the thread would Imply fallout three keeps crashing every time I try to start a new game on steam I've re installed, verified it, tried writing in the game file inumhw thing and still no joy.Its extremely frustrating any ideas at all would be greatly appreciated

I'm playing on a laptop so it might be the machine but it runs newer games like Fallout new vegas and darksiders 2 perfectly fine.
    Here the specs

Operating System
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 2450M @ 2.50GHz 49 °C
    Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
    RAM
    4.00 GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)
    Motherboard
    Hewlett-Packard 1841 (U3E1)
    Graphics
    Generic PnP Monitor (1280x768@60Hz)
    Intel HD Graphics Family
    Hard Drives
    466GB Hitachi HTS547550A9E384 (SATA)
    Optical Drives
    hp DVD A DS8A8SH
    Audio
    IDT High Definition Audio CODEC
    I'm not great with computers but I think they should be up to spec for the game

Giving the details of the error message, if any, would be a good idea as would digging into the error log and seeing what is written there.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Menelaun

Giving the details of the error message, if any, would be a good idea as would digging into the error log and seeing what is written there.
    I actually cant find anything there all it said from memory is fallout3.exe has stopped working
    I couldnt start the game at all so I dont have any logs and its currently uninstalled
    Sorry I dont really know how to help or is there something i'm missing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Menelaun wrote: »
    I actually cant find anything there all it said from memory is fallout3.exe has stopped working
    I couldnt start the game at all so I dont have any logs and its currently uninstalled
    Sorry I dont really know how to help or is there something i'm missing?

When the game is installed (so you'll have to reinstall it to debug this, unsurprisingly) the error log should have *something* in it that'll give hints as to why it's falling over and shitting itself

That said the D3D9 fix that MitchKoobski posted is probably a good first port of call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

OP, if you didnt already, then try. Right click on game in steam list > Properties > Local files > and click "Verify integrity of game cache"

It might fix it, it might do sweat f all,... worth a try though.

OP, if you didnt already, then try. Right click on game in steam list > Properties > Local files > and click "Verify integrity of game cache"

It might fix it, it might do sweat f all,... worth a try though.

I did this before I uninstalled it but to no joy thanks for the suggestion all the same

I only glanced over the replies but didnt see it mentioned.

But Fallout 3 doesn't work with Windows 7, as stated on the game details page of Steam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SB2013

But Fallout 3 doesn't work with Windows 7, as stated on the game details page of Steam.

Works on mine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

SB2013 wrote: »
    Works on mine
    Works on mine too, well Win8 but still. I think I did have to jump through a few hoops to get it to work though. Possibly Mitch's solution - that does sound familiar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SB2013

Have you made sure all your drivers are up to date and tried running it with background programs, including antivirus, turned off.

EDIT: Wouldn't be a bad idea to clean up your hard drive and defragment it too. Just to be sure your laptop is running as well as it can.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

I had an issue with the goty edition on steam crashing everytime i tried to load a new game. I figured it just didnt like Liam Neeson, but apparently it was something else.. i found a .ini fix for it, it had something to do with dual and multi core processors not being supported by the games engine. Found the fix on the steam forums for fallout3.

here tis
    Open up the fallout.ini file in: My Documents\My Games\Fallout3
    Find the line:
    bUseThreadedAI=0
    change it to:
    bUseThreadedAI=1
    Add another line after it and insert:
    iNumHWThreads=2
    This will limit the game to 2 cores and prevent the engine bug from causing the game to freeze.

This worked for me, using a dual core processor, if it doesnt work try altering the line iNumHWThreads=2 by changinf the number 2 at the end to however many cores your machine has.

Would not registering it have an affect on the game I just coped that there now

• Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

are you using a pirate copy or did ye pay for it?

Either way I've no idea about registering it as i never needed to on steam.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Does anyone have a save file from the start of the game that they could give him to try ?

I don't have it installed , else I'd start a game for you and send you the file to try

• Registered Users Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Polar101

I had this issue too, I think the fix was to start the game .exe file from Windows, so it didn't go through the launcher. Can't test now as I'm not at the PC where I have it installed.

are you using a pirate copy or did ye pay for it?

Either way I've no idea about registering it as i never needed to on steam.

I got it as a gift on steam
    I dont know if its a steam bought copy as I was only given the code for it not the digital copy so I'm not entirely certain if its even for steam themselves or another third party company like gamersgate or something

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭NotInventedHere

Works on mine too

Polar101 wrote: »
    I had this issue too, I think the fix was to start the game .exe file from Windows, so it didn't go through the launcher. Can't test now as I'm not at the PC where I have it installed.

I'll give it a go

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

You could also try finding the .exe , right clicking and setting the "compatibility mode" for a previous version of windows such as XP Pro SP3 , and run in Administrator mode also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

You could try getting the Mod Manager for Fallout, FOSE (Fallout Script Extender) and launching it from that. I had the same problem you had before, but I also remember it working with the Manager and FOSE. I can't swear that is what fixed it, but it's worth a shot.

http://fallout3.nexusmods.com/mods/modmanager/

http://fose.silverlock.org/

SeantheMan wrote: »
    You could also try finding the .exe , right clicking and setting the "compatibility mode" for a previous version of windows such as XP Pro SP3 , and run in Administrator mode also.

I attempted this earlier to but nothing happened cant find the compatibility tab anywhere and the option to run in previous windows versions isnt worth sh1te on my computer

Still no joy with any of the fixes. I would like to thank all of you who chipped in with ideas but it seems my laptop just doesn't like Liam Neeson or post apocalyptic america.
    (It probably doesnt have the power to run it )

Advertisement