Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleaning a Burnt Iron

Options
  • 12-02-2013 1:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭

Soleplate is burnt and I'm trying to clean it with Cif and a Scourer alas to no avail. Any suggestions please? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

Vinegar and baking soda.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

If it's a coated soleplate you have to go easy, if it's not completely burned you might be able to heat it up and soften the adhesion then wipe it off onto a rag, then a solvent like surgical spirit or acetone might work. A pot scrubber for non stick pans (the blue ones not the green ones) might also be OK but I'd be cautious about it.

If it's a bare metal soleplate your options are better, try the above but then you can move on to pot scrubbers, fine sandpaper or steel wool (the fine kind painters use not brillo pads) in that order.

If the damage is so bad that you're thinking of binning it then you can throw caution to the wind. I have used a scotchbrite wheel in an electric drill before but the iron was terrible and I was desperate, it worked too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 indiekid

You can get a stick that cleans the sole plate of your iron from Hickeys's homefocus store for about 4 euro. It's with the velcro and sewing accessory stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Hob Brite (for ceramic/induction hobs) and a scrubby sponge (for non stick pans) works great, you'll be at it a little while though because the Hob Brite doesn't scratch so it will be gentle. Both can be bought at the supermarket. You will also need a cotton bud to get the remnants out of the steam holes.

Advertisement