Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extreme camping?

Options
  • 11-02-2013 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭

well lads, me and my friends are planning an intense outdoor experience in a beautiful area beside a lake at the base of a mountain range 'morrow. we will be getting permission form a farmer as it is close to his land and we don't want to spook the poor man. during the day we will do some fishing, exploring and of course surviving. i have some general questions on the subject:D
    firstly ,what to bring?
    here's the list of things I've compiled so far:
    -a powerful torch,
    -2 or 3 back-up torches
    -Victorinox Outrider (mine)
    -Victorinox Workchamp (friends)
    -tent
    -sleeping bags
    -2 fishing rods
    -tackle ,bait and bag for fish( if were lucky enough to catch one..)
    - spare clothes
    -fuel for a fire (bitta turf/wood, firelighter,lighter)
    -backup gas stove
    -food and drink ***
    -binoculars
    *** I've no idea how much food or drink we need to last us the night. 1 litre of tea each?

Am I missing anything? anything else that would help use survive and/or improve the overall experience

and for extra water would it be possible to boil lake water?

secondly is the weather conditions
    there is some fog forecast for tomorrow which should be interesting:D
    surprisingly no rain but they forget, this is Ireland...
    will rain and the cold be an issue? i never camped in these kind of conditions before and for so long? will the tent be warm enough and hold out water?
    would it be possible to start a camp-fire in wet conditions? what about boiling water and cooking on this fire? just to note there is plenty trees around, wet or not.
    if I'm forgetting something tell me because we will be cycling quite far to this location and we really DONT want to forget something.
    appreciate feedback

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

I don't know where you are camping but be aware some places it is illegal to start a fire, for a number of reasons, if you are talking to the farmer he may know the situation. As for food and drink, you won't need anymore than you would normally eat/drink though take into account something could go wrong and you could be stuck there (depends on where you are and how you are getting there). Depending where the lake is, I wouldn't do it unless I was fully sure it was safe to drink. Boiling/purifiying tablets for the water is a must if you want to peace of mind.
    The weather is a big factor, if you have a rubbish tent and too light a sleeping bag you will at the very least have a sleepless night and at worst get hypothermia. You lose heat much faster when wet so you have to have dry clothes for bed. It is going to be really cold for the next few days so I expect the worst. Waterproof outer layer is needed if you plan on moving about.
    Without trying to sound like a killjoy or get on a high horse, I recommend you don't attempt this without someone with experience or at least till the weather improves. By the sounds of your post you will be isolated with an inexperienced group, so much can go wrong, believe me I am speaking from experience. If the worst happens think about how long it would take to cycle to get help, remember you might not get a phone signal or the battery could run out.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭lb1997

FrostyJack wrote: »
    I don't know where you are camping but be aware some places it is illegal to start a fire, for a number of reasons, if you are talking to the farmer he may know the situation. As for food and drink, you won't need anymore than you would normally eat/drink though take into account something could go wrong and you could be stuck there (depends on where you are and how you are getting there). Depending where the lake is, I wouldn't do it unless I was fully sure it was safe to drink. Boiling/purifiying tablets for the water is a must if you want to peace of mind.
    The weather is a big factor, if you have a rubbish tent and too light a sleeping bag you will at the very least have a sleepless night and at worst get hypothermia. You lose heat much faster when wet so you have to have dry clothes for bed. It is going to be really cold for the next few days so I expect the worst. Waterproof outer layer is needed if you plan on moving about.
    Without trying to sound like a killjoy or get on a high horse, I recommend you don't attempt this without someone with experience or at least till the weather improves. By the sounds of your post you will be isolated with an inexperienced group, so much can go wrong, believe me I am speaking from experience. If the worst happens think about how long it would take to cycle to get help, remember you might not get a phone signal or the battery could run out.

sorry i guess i exaggerated a bit haha. inexperienced yes , isolated no. its a demanding but not extremely long cycle and only a 10 min drive for our parents.there are some houses that if the worst comes to the worst we can 'pay a visit'. the fire will be only if the farmer lets us, hence the gas stove.
    from your advice i think we should focus and keeping warm and dry.
    also the area can have and does have very bad reception at times so thanks for the reminder :)

and the food i guess is ok but i am more concerned about water how much per person would be ok ?

lb1997 wrote: »

and the food i guess is ok but i am more concerned about water how much per person would be ok ?

How long are you's planning on staying?

How long are you's planning on staying?

all day all night
    maybe 18 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

all day all night
    maybe 18 hours

So..... it's just normal camping then? :)

• Advertisement

So..... it's just normal camping then? :)

in wet, cold and fog? not normal for me anyway ,maybe your naturally more extreme than me:confused:

all day all night
    maybe 18 hours

Ok then you will need very little of both, maybe carry 2 and a half days worth to cover getting stuck. 2 litres of water each may be overkill but depends on what you are cooking (using water to cook with, wash up etc) make up a couple of sandwiches and bring them with you, maybe a tin of stew for dinner and something then for the next day, maybe more sandwiches. You can go several days without food, but if you are hungry and energy depleted you could do something stupid like fall off your bike. If you do bring tins like stew or tuna remember to bring a tin opener and make sure it works. I bought one to bring one time and ended up hacking the can with a crappy knife to get the contents, very messy. Bring a black bag too for rubbish too.

Ok then you will need very little of both, maybe carry 2 and a half days worth to cover getting stuck. 2 litres of water each may be overkill but depends on what you are cooking (using water to cook with, wash up etc) make up a couple of sandwiches and bring them with you, maybe a tin of stew for dinner and something then for the next day, maybe more sandwiches. You can go several days without food, but if you are hungry and energy depleted you could do something stupid like fall off your bike. If you do bring tins like stew or tuna remember to bring a tin opener and make sure it works. I bought one to bring one time and ended up hacking the can with a crappy knife to get the contents, very messy. Bring a black bag too for rubbish too.
    gotcha thanks for that! haha i've my Outrider! Don't underestimate its can opening powers. I plan on eating fish haha but I'll bring minimal backup food so ill actually try to catch something! but i dont think my friends will take the same approach(fat bastards...) so I can scab some food off them if needs be
    thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Wildlife Actor

Bring a ground mat or thermarest or you won't get much sleep. Wood/turf fire is great in theory but stove more comfortable. Don't forget pot and mugs. Running water always better than lake water. Don't take us experts too seriously though. Enjoy it, especially the mistakes!

Bring a ground mat or thermarest or you won't get much sleep. Wood/turf fire is great in theory but stove more comfortable. Don't forget pot and mugs. Running water always better than lake water. Don't take us experts too seriously though. Enjoy it, especially the mistakes!

oh yeah pots and mugs ,dont wanna forget those.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Jacks roll and wet wipes. last thing you need is a dose of the trots from bad hygiene.

fenris wrote: »
    Jacks roll and wet wipes. last thing you need is a dose of the trots from bad hygiene.

yeah man and toilet paper too, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Earplugs...and if you don't bring them then remember this post when your lying wide awake at all the strange sounds :eek:

sparrowcar wrote: »
    Earplugs...and if you don't bring them then remember this post when your lying wide awake at all the strange sounds :eek:

Are they coming from the other guys in the tent?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

1. A decent first aid kit also - one kit for the group should be enough.
    2. Survival bag/blanket (alu-foil things you see marathon runners wearing after a race)
    3. Dextrose sweeties (as an emergency pick-me-up).
    4. Mobile phones - and check they are fully charged before venturing out.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 glenmac

Fishing is out .You cant fish until the 17 March when the season begins.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Wildlife Actor

Hmmm... Did they survive...?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 glenmac

I'd say the mammy came and got them.

glenmac wrote: »
    I'd say the mammy came and got them.

ya think she'd bother her arse pickin us up?

Advertisement