Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adobe Acrobat vs Adobe Reader

Options
  • 11-02-2013 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭

I have a laptop that came with Adobe Acrobat 8 Standard Edition installed on it and was wondering what's the main difference between Acrobat and Reader?

I've never really used the product, only to view PDF's, plus I can already create PDF's in MS Word so I was thinking of uninstalling it and downloading the latest version of Reader instead.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,176 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat.html

Its an editor and creation tool. Reader is just a viewer and yes Word can already do the basics. Still, acrobat could be handy to hold on to, considering it aint free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Phat Cat wrote: »
    I can already create PDF's in MS Word

But you can't edit them in MS Word, so I'd say, hold on to it. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 82,176 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You surely can, in 2013 at least. compression ratio seems pretty nice too

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

foxit reader allows a tiny bit of editing
    pdf split and merge allows you to group and ungroup pages

pdfcreator allows you to print to a pdf, and like acrobat allows you to set security settings on the document to prevent copying the text, but OCR can pull some back even then

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Phat Cat

Actually Adobe Acrobat Pro 8 is now free from Adobe but the latest version, 11, retails at a whooping €585.

The thing is that I've never had the need to edit a PDF, I would always just edit or create a document in Word then save it as a PDF.

It is a big program though and my HDD is only a 250GB so that was behind my idea of downgrading it to Reader. It's also a very old version and is not upgradable for free whereas I can update Reader to the latest available version for free as often as I like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Acrobat Pro is a professional package especially useful if you need to edit a design or for outputting artwork in various qualities changing and checking colour types for print output etc. Text etc can be corrected quickly in the pdf without going back to the original document. The readers are only useful for opening a pdf so I'd hold onto that package. :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Phat Cat wrote: »
    It is a big program though and my HDD is only a 250GB so that was behind my idea of downgrading it to Reader. It's also a very old version and is not upgradable for free whereas I can update Reader to the latest available version for free as often as I like.
    old version smersion

PDF's are standard , so it's unlikely you are going to have to edit a newer one , as newer ones are more likely to be protected

look into disk clean up tools - ccleaner / spacemonger etc.
    alternatively right click and compress the acrobat folder in program files

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Not a person

Adobe Acrobat pro is amazing.

The ability to combine different file types into one PDF and insert a header afterwards with Acrobat pro springs to mind first.

Delete pages, insert pages, etc. etc.

What I also find useful is taking snapshot images of any area large or small of the PDF and copying it wherever you want.

The price is expensive but well worth it in a business setting etc.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Another thing to bear in mind is that if you get rid of the working install and don't make sure to keep your licence documentation somewhere safe, you might be in a tricky position using the "free" version (which is the CS2 non-activating release, which can be freely downloaded but is only licenced for use by existing licence holders).

If you're at the point where the space taken up by Acrobat Pro is a problem you would be better off looking into buying a bigger hard drive for your laptop, I think.

Advertisement