Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alkaline Trio: My Shame is True.

Options
  • 11-02-2013 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭

tumblr_inline_mhrcca97HZ1qz4rgp.jpg

Out on the 2nd of April, with a very Smiths-esque looking cover. Been three years since their last original release and I am looking foward to this, have been a big fan for years. Skiba can still knock out a catchy single with his eyes closed but over the last couple of albums his work has been hit and miss (hitting a low point with Draculina on the last album IMO). On the other hand Andriano seems to be going from strength to strength as a song writer, and is now the one whose contributions I most look forward to hearing. Hopefully they make it over here on tour before the end of the year, missed not seeing them tour here with the last album, although I think that may have been to do with The Ambassador no longer being used for gigs.

Lead single is....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Saw this the other day and I'm very excited. This Addition did very little for me compared to their previous stuff so fingers crossed it's a return to form.

I'm a fan of the new song so hopefully that bodes well. Skiba is one of my favourite singers, love his voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Saw this the other day and I'm very excited. This Addition did very little for me compared to their previous stuff so fingers crossed it's a return to form.

I'm a fan of the new song so hopefully that bodes well. Skiba is one of my favourite singers, love his voice.

Likewise on Skiba which has made his deteriation even worse. Like I said he can bang out a catchy single but I have always preferred the album stuff and it has been sub par on the last few albums...although 'Demos' was decent enough.

This Addiction was a really good half record...it all kinda went wrong after 'Off the Map'....although for me 'Fine' is the best track on the album.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

I'm cautiously looking forward to this. I don't think I like the new single much at all though, so I'm hoping the rest of the album will be better than that.

This Addiction was a bit hit and miss. But Dead On The Floor became one of my favourite songs of theirs, especially the acoustic version. Can't wait to hear Dan's stuff. I loved Hurricane Season so I'm hoping he keeps up that standard

Another new tune, I really like it on first listen.

Not liking the latest song as much as 'I wanna be a Warhol'..hopefully it is one of the weaker tracks on the album.

• Advertisement

I'm the opposite, I think it's a great song! If it's one of the weaker ones on the album I'll be very happy.

I like how Skiba tells a story a lot of the time and I did some reading up on the real 'Torture Doctor' afterwards which was cool.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._H._Holmes

The story thing is part of the problem for me. Around the time of 'Good Mourning' magazines started labeling him as the 'Dark, Church of Satan member, devil worshipper' Matt Skiba and it seems like he felt he had to keep up with that image so wrote songs about stuff like that, which works sometimes (Sadie), and not others (your neck). Prior to good mourning a lot of the songs were about drink, drugs, and women, and sounded better for it....maybe he has moved on from that, although judging by the videos of the first 'Matt Skiba and the sekrets' gig he should have plenty of material.

In saying that, the song has grown on me a little with a few more listens.

Another new one today - I, Pessimist with guest vocals from Tim McIlrath.

I quite like it. I love the name too. The releases seem to be getting better with each new one, for me at least. I like Rise Against, but I haven't heard anything of theirs in a while so it's good to hear Tim shout about something.

Song 4.

Much prefer 'I, Pessimist' from Dan.

And now we've got them all!

http://www.spin.com/articles/alkaline-trio-my-shame-is-true-album-stream-matt-skiba-interview-epitaph

Really liking Young Lovers and Until Death Do Us Part.

• Advertisement

Just got the album and gave it a full listen for the first time and it's not bad at all, a solid 7/10 for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

Really like this album, I think its a return to a much better form for them, Pocket Knife being the stand out one for me just yet.

Also, I thought Skibas last solo project, Babylon, was great too so glad to see his songwriting is picking up again.

Was never much into Dans songs ("Enjoy Your Day" remains the absolute worst Alk3 song in my mind) but he's got few crackers on this too.

GastroBoy wrote: »
    Really like this album, I think its a return to a much better form for them, Pocket Knife being the stand out one for me just yet.

Also, I thought Skibas last solo project, Babylon, was great too so glad to see his songwriting is picking up again.

Was never much into Dans songs ("Enjoy Your Day" remains the absolute worst Alk3 song in my mind) but he's got few crackers on this too.

:eek::eek:

Shocking:D. I actually think he has much worse songs than that (The Poison) would probably be the worst one for me.

Have only listened to this in bits and pieces so haven't really had a chance to fully make up my mind yet.

I really like Warhol, The temptation of St Anthony, and I pessimist so far though.

:eek: The Poison is my favourite Dan song :eek:

I'm really liking this album. I'm loving Pocket Knife and Broken Wing (Both 'bonus' songs though so it might not count.) Off the album itself, I don't know, tough to call. She Lied To The FBI or Until Death Do Us Part maybe. Matt's songs have improved so much since the last few albums. Now all I need to hear about is a tour in this part of the world.

I don't know what you guy's problem is with Enjoy Your Day though... Better than the Crimson stuff for me

Just looking through their albums and the guy has some seriously good songs.

I would probably put 'Another Innocent Girl' as worse than 'The Poison' although it's shocking that 'The Poison' made it onto Crimson when 'We can never break up' didn't.

Emma would actually be my least favourite, although he didn't write it.

Just a heads up....

Playing The Academy on the 26th of August and Belfast on the 27th. Tickets on sale Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Didn't know these guys were still going. Saw them in the Ambassador 7 years ago.

Advertisement