Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cats decided my lawn is loo

Options
  • 11-02-2013 3:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Why would a cat suddenly decide my lawn is his toliet. Just an ordinary lawn with a tree and las t few days cat is doing the business. Must be cat as there is a fence to high for dogs. But why now, and how to stop? that repellent does not work tried it before with dogs. gets washed away

Also i thought cats do not poop on grass or stone and wll dig a hole in earth?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Ever think of adopting a dog? They cute, loveable, and hate cats.

They will, however poop on your lawn instead :P

Otherwise, some cats dislike clear bottles filled with water.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Sensor activated sprayers would work if you can identify from were the animal is getting in.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Cats are happy to poo anywhere, they don't always cover it.

There are several products out there designed to discourage cats; google cactus strips. Unfortunately most of the products are designed to keep them in a garden, but you might be able to adapt one. A motion sensing sprayer might work alright (and there's a great video of one on youtube).

Do any of your neighbours have cats? It might be worth having a word with them just to see if they'd keep their pet in their house at night (I presume it's happening at night because you haven't said that you know for certain it's a cat, so am presuming you haven't seen it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

There is an ultrasonic device you can get to deter cats from coming into your garden. I know a lady that used it and it worked very well for her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 southwest1

I agree with the bottles of water ,that does the trick or also throw down some cheap white pepper if its a small area as they hate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭STForSale

<snip>

STforSale, unless you can give ideas without hinting at using dodgy ingredients in a water pistol, or indeed gaining pleasure from the cat's reaction, please don't post in this thread again.
    Do not reply to this post on-thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭yes chance

kylith wrote: »
    Cats are happy to poo anywhere, they don't always cover it.

presume it's happening at night because you haven't said that you know for certain it's a cat, so am presuming you haven't seen it).
    I do not know when but i do not have a cat. it seems big for a cat but then i know little of cats. i thought they bury it but it is on grass

And what else could it be with a four foot fence all round. i might ask in the dog forum if a dog could scale a four foot fence

yes chance wrote: »
    I do not know when but i do not have a cat. it seems big for a cat but then i know little of cats. i thought they bury it but it is on grass

And what else could it be with a four foot fence all round. i might ask in the dog forum if a dog could scale a four foot fence

Our standard poodles used to clear the five-foot gate without any problem. And urban foxes can climb and jump superbly.

I'd go for the motion-detecting sprayer. Cats, dogs, foxes and even humans hate to be sprayed randomly with water when they're crouching to do a peaceful poo. Your visitors will go elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

I think the first think you should do is to make sure what kind of animal is doing this, then act consequently.
    You could get a small motion-activated camera and aim it to the spot of your garden that this animal has elected as its loo.

If it's a cat, then iit's a non neuterd male cat, because they love to mark their territory this way, especially during the time when female cats are on heat.
    If the affected area has a small size you could use slices of lemon or oranges put on short sticks. Cats hate citrus.
    But if it's not a cat, then we have to find an adequate countermeasure.

• Advertisement

I think the first think you should do is to make sure what kind of animal is doing this, then act consequently.
    You could get a small motion-activated camera and aim it to the spot of your garden that this animal has elected as its loo.

If it's a cat, then iit's a non neuterd male cat, because they love to mark their territory this way, especially during the time when female cats are on heat.
    If the affected area has a small size you could use slices of lemon or oranges put on short sticks. Cats hate citrus.
    But if it's not a cat, then we have to find an adequate countermeasure.
    is that now?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

You don't know what it is and it is on your property. Perhaps a tagged lost pet? Trap it and if it is a tagged pet return it. If it is not hand it to the local pound.

mitosis wrote: »
    You don't know what it is and it is on your property. Perhaps a tagged lost pet? Trap it and if it is a tagged pet return it. If it is not hand it to the local pound.
    only on my property to crap and i am not buying a trap. if ts a pet the owner can clean up the crap. I love the way people think they can have pets and someone else has to clean their crap.

only on my property to crap and i am not buying a trap. if ts a pet the owner can clean up the crap. I love the way people think they can have pets and someone else has to clean their crap.

Which is why a motion-activated water spray is the sensible solution; this will send the animal elsewhere, and you can stop worrying about other people's pets' behaviour.

Which is why a motion-activated water spray is the sensible solution; this will send the animal elsewhere, and you can stop worrying about other people's pets' behaviour.
    and why should i pay for that to deal with someone else's responibility

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭doubter

is that now?

thanks

yES, THIS IS THE TIME OF YEAR MOST FEMALE CATS WILL GO INTO HEAT IF THEY ARE NOT NEUTERED. (oops caps lock) Kitten season starts in the next 6-10 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭doubter

and why should i pay for that to deal with someone else's responibility

uhm...because it's your garden..? you can fence it securely to avoid any animal going in, or use the spray solution. Otherwise you'll have to clean up the crap.
    We share this planet with other living creatures, so if you have a problem with that make sure they can't enter your tiny corner of the world in a way safe for both parties. .

doubter wrote: »
    uhm...because it's your garden..? you can fence it securely to avoid any animal going in, or use the spray solution. Otherwise you'll have to clean up the crap.
    We share this planet with other living creatures, so if you have a problem with that make sure they can't enter your tiny corner of the world in a way safe for both parties. .
    lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Sigh. I was trying to be circuitous. Build a trap and catch the fecker. Do what you want after that. There is no way you will know the owner without finding the animal.

is that now?

thanks

Yes, female cats are on heat from around the end of January, when the daylight sensibly increase.
    Male cats follow their instinct to mark the territory with urine and poo and don't cover them so to let other cats know that that part of the land has an owner already :)

• Advertisement

Yes, female cats are on heat from around the end of January, when the daylight sensibly increase.
    Male cats follow their instinct to mark the territory with urine and poo and don't cover them so to let other cats know that that part of the land has an owner already :)
    really that is why they sometimes do not cover it? iread they do not like lavendar scent either

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Well don't do what my FiL is threatening (and probably would if MiL allowed it).

There is a cat pooing in their back garden - he keep after my husband to buy a pellet gun up here and bring it down to him. He is so obsessive he would stand at the back window for days if needed to shoot the cat when it came in to poo :eek::eek:

The cat pooing in the back is personal to him and is doing it deliberately to wind him up.

The same man is hand feeding crows in the back garden - keeps the best of the meat to feed them. The neighbour at the other side is very unimpressed as the crows coming down are pooing on her clothes... And he doesn't give a flying fcuk.

really that is why they sometimes do not cover it? iread they do not like lavendar scent either

Yes, that can be one of the reason, the main one. In some other cases, when they don't cover their urine the explanation can be a disease, both physical or psichological. But it's not your case.

I asked Google about lavender and I found out that this scent can keep cats away, I didn't know that.

On this Italian website(*) (I'm Italian and live in Italy, despite my nickname)
    http://animali.uncome.it/articulo/come-fare-un-gatto-repellente-220.html
    the tip number one says
    "Cospargi un po’ di mostarda secca, peperoni, caffè macinato o rosmarino secco in modo da tenere i gatti lontano dai luoghi all'aperto. Alcuni gatti non amano certi odori più di altri, quindi prova se uno non funziona, provare uno diverso, o una combinazione di diversi prodotti."
    TRANSLATION
    "Lay some dry mustard, peppers, ground coffee or rosemary so to keep cats away outdoors. Some cats hate some smells more than others, so try one and if it doesn't work try a different one, or a combination of them."

I don't know if it's true, but you can have a try.

This other page
    http://animali.uncome.it/articulo/come-spaventare-un-gatto-229.html
    "How to scare a cat"
    explains how to keep a cat away from your garden when you find out that this cat is using the lawn as its toilet.
    I made a translation for you (forgive me for possible mistakes):

Cats have a deep sense for hygiene and prefer to evacuate far from where they eat. So, if a neighbour of yours has a cat that is free to roam, it could easily visit other's lawns and use them as a toilet, digging and ruining plants. If you have this problem and want to scare the cat off your garden try talk your neighbour, but he hardly will be able to solve the problem. Then there's the chance that the cat is a stray, so it has no owner to talk to. The following instructions will explain how to scare a cat off your garden in an ecological and non toxic way.

-Every time you eat some citrus keep the peels.
    -Spread the citrus peels all over your garden, especially in the favourite spots of the cat
    -If you know where the cat gets in through, then put some more peels in that spot.
    -Citrus smell scares cats. The smell lingers on for 2 or 3 days, then you'll have to change the peels.
    -If you are bothered about your garden full of peels, you can bury them shallow.
    -It's also possible to rub the peels on the walls and floors of the court, if they are porous, the smell will last longer.

Hope it helps a little.

(*)strangely, the website seems Italian, but it contains several mistakes, as it's been written by a Spanish person.

Yes, that can be one of the reason, the main one. In some other cases, when they don't cover their urine the explanation can be a disease, both physical or psichological. But it's not your case.

I asked Google about lavender and I found out that this scent can keep cats away, I didn't know that.

On this Italian website(*) (I'm Italian and live in Italy, despite my nickname)
    http://animali.uncome.it/articulo/come-fare-un-gatto-repellente-220.html
    the tip number one says
    "Cospargi un po’ di mostarda secca, peperoni, caffè macinato o rosmarino secco in modo da tenere i gatti lontano dai luoghi all'aperto. Alcuni gatti non amano certi odori più di altri, quindi prova se uno non funziona, provare uno diverso, o una combinazione di diversi prodotti."
    TRANSLATION
    "Lay some dry mustard, peppers, ground coffee or rosemary so to keep cats away outdoors. Some cats hate some smells more than others, so try one and if it doesn't work try a different one, or a combination of them."

I don't know if it's true, but you can have a try.

This other page
    http://animali.uncome.it/articulo/come-spaventare-un-gatto-229.html
    "How to scare a cat"
    explains how to keep a cat away from your garden when you find out that this cat is using the lawn as its toilet.
    I made a translation for you (forgive me for possible mistakes):

Cats have a deep sense for hygiene and prefer to evacuate far from where they eat. So, if a neighbour of yours has a cat that is free to roam, it could easily visit other's lawns and use them as a toilet, digging and ruining plants. If you have this problem and want to scare the cat off your garden try talk your neighbour, but he hardly will be able to solve the problem. Then there's the chance that the cat is a stray, so it has no owner to talk to. The following instructions will explain how to scare a cat off your garden in an ecological and non toxic way.

-Every time you eat some citrus keep the peels.
    -Spread the citrus peels all over your garden, especially in the favourite spots of the cat
    -If you know where the cat gets in through, then put some more peels in that spot.
    -Citrus smell scares cats. The smell lingers on for 2 or 3 days, then you'll have to change the peels.
    -If you are bothered about your garden full of peels, you can bury them shallow.
    -It's also possible to rub the peels on the walls and floors of the court, if they are porous, the smell will last longer.

Hope it helps a little.

(*)strangely, the website seems Italian, but it contains several mistakes, as it's been written by a Spanish person.
    Thanks for that . I knew about citrus but the peels look bad on the lawn. I did not think of rubbing it on walls etc. Would fence work? There are sticks you can get which are citrus smelling as well

As an interim measure I put a couple plastic bottles in lawn and got a lavendar plant, have seen no sign since. There is also a Scaredy Cat Plant but I have not used it

i do not mean to spend money keeping someone elses responsibility away so he had better not return

Cats have a deep sense for hygiene and prefer to evacuate far from where they eat.
    Isn't there an idea about leaving a bowl out so they think it is there feeding place? What do you put in bowl, water?

Advertisement