Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this animal common in Ireland?

Options
  • 11-02-2013 1:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi, around 11 am this morning I came across a giant red frog. It was on the walkway outside a factory building. It was about size of my fist. I managed to take a photo with my mobile, never seen anything like it! Is this a common species in Ireland?

http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/5381/img20130210135857.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Ziphius

Nice picture. Though to me it looks like your garden or common frog (Rana temporaria), albeit unusually coloured. It's one of three species of amphibian in Ireland. The others are the natterjack toad and the smooth newt.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Hollzy

From Wikipedia...
    Adult common frogs have a body length of 6 to 9 centimetres (2.4 to 3.5 in)[2] and their backs and flanks vary in colour, with olive green[3] grey-brown, brown, olive-brown, grey, yellowish or rufous possible.[4] However, common frogs are known to be able to lighten and darken their skin in order to match their surroundings.[3] It is also not unknown for more unusual colouration- both black and red individuals have been found in Scotland, and male common frogs have been known to turn greyish blue in the mating season

• Registered Users Posts: 31 booklova

Thank you for your response, and yes, I guess you're right - it has just changed color for the mating time, however, it looked tropical ;) so I hoped this summer will be something different .

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

It's very fat looking for a frog. It's probably a female ready to explode a load of eggs all over the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Used to catch frogs as a kid and odd time come across red frogs and black ones too

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 56 ✭✭maria_81

booklova wrote: »
    Thank you for your response, and yes, I guess you're right - it has just changed color for the mating time, however, it looked tropical ;) so I hoped this summer will be something different .

Based on the wikipedia excerpt above, the colour change would either be due to mating or changing to suit the surroundings.

Where exactly was it? Was it near any leaves or anything?

I guess as it's breeding season it was related to that though!

Thanks for the pic btw.:)

Advertisement