Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo Memberships - Rosses Point or Strandhill?

Options
  • 10-02-2013 9:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭

A mate is moving to the Sligo area in the next few months and is wondering what club to join. The options are Rosses Point, Strandhill and maybe at a push Castle Dargan.
    From the outset Rosses Point appears to be the favourite. The course and set up appears top notch. I have only played Standhill and Enniscrone in that neck of the woods so I’m not very helpful for him.
    From what I hear Castle Dargan can get very wet, which is natural enough for a parkland course on the west coast.

In regards to Rosses Point/Strandhill can someone please tell me the following:

What is the membership like, can you easily join up with people for a game as my mate won’t know anyone there?
    How easy is it to get a teetime at weekends? Understandable that Saturday morning in every club in the country is busy but you should still be able to get out.
    Practice facilities? I know at Strandhill it’s only a putting green from what I saw.
    Which would have the better club atmosphere? I’m sure a well established club like Rosses Point has some more ‘reserved’ members! He just wants a friendly, approachable club

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 802 ✭✭✭m r c

A mate is moving to the Sligo area in the next few months and is wondering what club to join. The options are Rosses Point, Strandhill and maybe at a push Castle Dargan.
    From the outset Rosses Point appears to be the favourite. The course and set up appears top notch. I have only played Standhill and Enniscrone in that neck of the woods so I’m not very helpful for him.
    From what I hear Castle Dargan can get very wet, which is natural enough for a parkland course on the west coast.

In regards to Rosses Point/Strandhill can someone please tell me the following:

What is the membership like, can you easily join up with people for a game as my mate won’t know anyone there?
    How easy is it to get a teetime at weekends? Understandable that Saturday morning in every club in the country is busy but you should still be able to get out.
    Practice facilities? I know at Strandhill it’s only a putting green from what I saw.
    Which would have the better club atmosphere? I’m sure a well established club like Rosses Point has some more ‘reserved’ members! He just wants a friendly, approachable club

I've sent you a pm there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Cheers for that m r c.

Another question for those who have played Rosses. How much more difficult is it compared to Strandhill?

I heard the last three holes are some of the most difficult closing holes in Ireland? Thats a big statement I know, do people agree?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 The Hurricane

Rosses Point is a beautiful course well maintained decent facilities beautiful scenery. There is a practice 9 holes with great greens and a driving range. Strandhill is a nice course but Rosses Point is much tougher and a proper championship course. There are no handy holes and if you score 36 points round there you have earned it. The last 3 holes are tough long par 3 along the sea a dogleg par 4 onto an elevated sloping green and the 18th has a very intimidating tee shot. Its easy to get out but you have to book online from 9 am a week before and the slots fill up sharply. Castle Dargan is a lovely well designed course but is very soggy and wet. Enniscrone lovely course but Rosses Point is the best option by a mile imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

Cheers for that m r c.

Another question for those who have played Rosses. How much more difficult is it compared to Strandhill?

I heard the last three holes are some of the most difficult closing holes in Ireland? Thats a big statement I know, do people agree?

Rosses Point is more difficult; Strandhill is more fun. Certainly the former is better quality due to its Championship stature, but it depends on what your mate wants. Personally, it's a choice I would love to be in the position of making as I think each course is brilliant in its own way.

From what I've heard, there's more atmosphere around Strandhill's clubhouse because it is that much more relaxed.

Photos if they help
    Strandhill
    Rosses Point

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Rosses Point is more difficult; Strandhill is more fun. Certainly the former is better quality due to its Championship stature, but it depends on what your mate wants. Personally, it's a choice I would love to be in the position of making as I think each course is brilliant in its own way.

From what I've heard, there's more atmosphere around Strandhill's clubhouse because it is that much more relaxed.

Photos if they help
    Strandhill
    Rosses Point

Great photos Kevin. Having played Rosses Point twice it is a tough test and both times it was calm. Rough is tough if you find your ball is looks fine but its hard to move it.
    Looking at the photos i'm heading to plat Strandhill next time i am down west. Its not a course you hear much about compared to Rosses Point and Enniscrone.
    Mike

• Advertisement

Just a general question as I have not played Rosses Point however a general theme on how difficult the course is has developed on the thread.

Granted its a links so when the wind blows its going to be a challenge however is the layout really that difficult? I heard its actually a lot more open than Strandhill, that must help big hitters who are a little wayward off the tee. Fair enough it will be a lot longer than other course.

Personally I cant wait for the annual golf holiday in the region, playing Rosses, Strandhill, Enniscrone & Carne!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Hookyslicer

Well just to throw my opinion in. I arrived to Sligo in July 2011 and joined castle dargan as it was dry and a fabulous course. Unfortunately in September I realised it was just too wet to enjoy for more than 4 months in summer (if even that) I looked around and decided on county Sligo over strandhill because of the practice facilities and extra 9 holes. I've been a member since November 11 and love it. Time sheets are busy but you'll always get out if your flexible. Saturday and Sunday competitions. The course is tougher than my previous clubs but I reckon in the long run this will make me a better golfer. I have played strandhill a fair bit since I got here and I am impressed with it too. Can only say it would be personal preference for me as I drive past the roads for strandhill and castle dargan to play golf in county Sligo.
    Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Considering you can join either of these fine course without hello money it would be tempting to join both!

I've played both many times, and if you're serious about golf, there's really only one choice - Rosses Point. Strandhill is a lovely course and there's better craic in the clubhouse for sure, but the course itself is too short IMO. There are a few decent holes but a few too many weak holes. Rosses Point is class throughout. It's tough but fair - apart from the second shot on the 12th (stunning par 5) over a hill, there aren't any blind shots. The rough is not what it used to be either...they have cut this back (does anyone rememeber the rough to the left of the 6th fairway? :eek::eek:). Having said that, if the conditions are tough you will be ragged coming off the course as it is a trek. The practice 9 holes are great too - often I've just gone down there if I haven't a booking made for the proper course. You'd think it would be easy but it's a nasty little bugger. There's a par 4 that's as long as I've played anywhere.

The last piece of advice I would give is to stay away from Castle Dargan. I've played it a few times in the winter and it's wet & soggy. In the summer it's OK but the ground underneath is very hard on the feet. The hotel is nice but let down by poor service. Why anyone would want to join a parkland course where there are so many top class links courses on your doorstep is beyond me, (but each to their own).

I'm green with envy though....if there was anyway to move either of these courses to Cork I'd be in like Flynn :D

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭The_Architect

Most people have it covered.

As a course, Rosses Point is a class act that rewards repeat plays. Very subtle, very classical in design style.

Strandhill is a ton of fun and has a slightly less formal membership I suspect.

Given the choice with all other things equal, I would choose County Sligo without a doubt. But Strandhill would be a country mile ahead of 3rd place in the area.

Loire wrote: »
    Considering you can join either of these fine course without hello money it would be tempting to join both!

Haha! Well membership of Rosses Point is €1,025 and Strandhill is €720 so joining both would be very extravagant! €305 in the difference so it is a bit, but I'm sure Rosses is well worth it. Refreshing to hear the 9 hole course is also kept to a high standard.

By all account you need to live 125km's from Rosses Point to be considered as a Country member and only 25 miles from Standhill and of course a full member of another club. Differences in the distances is quite a lot, strange but Rosses must be in higher demand.

I too in due course, maybe a year to 18 months, will face the same dilemma of which one to join, hence my interest but my mate will be there before me. For others too relocating to Sligo and have an interest in golf this thread will be very useful to them. Some great replys here, thanks all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 casdon

Hope it's ok to resurrect an old thread like this. I'm looking to join Rosses Point in Sligo and had a few questions. Hoping someone could answer them for me.

The membership form says I need 2 Proposers - I'm new to Sligo so what can I do in this situation?

Are tee times busy on both courses? Haven't played much golf so will probably spend a few months playing Bomore before trying the Championship course.

Is the course playable through winter? Are winter mats used?

Do they offer reciprocal rights at other courses?

Do they have any guest rates if a member brings guests to play there.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Dr Devious

Tell them that you don't really Know anyone and they'll get two names to propose and second the application, I think its just an administrative thing. During the main playing season its busy from 7 am up until early afternoon, the Bowmore is a little bit quieter, you'll always find a gap somewhere. There are no reciprocal playing rights to any other club. Its around 50 quid for a guest and you have about 12 a year, how well thats policed is another thing. There is mats in use from November until St Patricks day, but that's probably because of the west of Ireland being very early in the spring and they don't want the course dug up with no time to repair itself, actually this year the mats were only in play from around a hundred yards in. Its also one of the driest course in the country, you could tip the Atlantic ocean on to the course and it would soak through it in day and you wouldn't think it rained in ages bar a few minor areas, the Bowmore would get more wetter after a sustained wet spell but it not too bad. For 300 quid more than Strandhill its a total steal, 18 and 9 hole courses, driving range, a couple of short game practice areas. I could go on……….

• Registered Users Posts: 34 soverybored1878

I'm based in Dublin but often in Sligo for work. I've played both regularly and I would genuinely give my right arm to be able to play Co. Sligo whenever I wanted.

Strandhill was great, don't get me wrong but Co. Sligo is a fabulous course and I put it up there with the best courses I've played. I was buzzing for weeks afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭REFLINE1

Post edited by REFLINE1 on

Advertisement