Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Urban Planning job search

• 10-02-2013 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭

Hi all,

I see that this topic has not been talked about much on this lately or has everyone just given up and stopped talking about it?

I graduated with a B.A in geog, planning and environmental policy and Masters in regional and urban planning in UCD (both high 2.1's) by the time I was 21. Never able to get work experience in planning during my time in college as I had to work to make ends meet. Graduated the December before last so nearly year and a half now. Since graduating I continued to work in retail, looked for any type of planning job, contacted FAS, recruitment companies, planning consultancies and even talked to a local Councillor but to no avail.

I then decided to go for Jobsbridge (don't get me started on Jobsbridge!!!!) and got an internship but not in planning, its more of a research type role. I and other interns have been told from the offset that there is little to no opportunities for jobs after our 9 months (free labor I will add) regardless of our performance and were all still looking and applying for jobs. So at the minute I'm working full time in internship during week, have to work the weekends elsewhere to make ends meet as I do not live at home and I do not even have an interview for any type of professional job to my name. I have obviously applied for countless research type roles since being in my current Jobsbridge role but no luck. I have also broadened the scope of my search for jobs tremendously, tailoring my CV to different sectors etc but no luck either. I have a good CV I always had no problem getting retail positions however I endlessly get no reply or get the usual 'someone more qualified has got the job' bull when i apply for any type of professional role. I am fed up working 50+ hours a week with no reward. Jobsbridge ends soon so now trying to figure out what to do next!

I am now nearly 23, I have had no experience in planning, am broke as a biscuit and am seriously considering looking abroad (although I really do not want to move away). I am soooooo fed up! Is there any hope! ANY AT ALL?????? What have other people done? Any stories/feedback will be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Moved from Postgraduates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

pj12332 wrote: »
    I am now nearly 23, I have had no experience in planning...
    I would say you're overly focussed on this aspect of your job search. I could be wrong, but I'm guessing there are going to be very few jobs in the area of urban planning in Ireland for the forseeable future. If you want to make a career for yourself in this field, I really can't see any alternative to emigrating.

But, relax! You're only 23!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Strawberry Fields

I know a really clever chap who did this, like really high points but was interested in this as a career. Had to go to London and has done quite well for himself, couple of kids. I'd look into heading over there for more opportunities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭BetterCallSaul

pj12332 wrote: »

Is there any hope! ANY AT ALL?????? What have other people done? Any stories/feedback will be greatly appreciated!

Sorry to be pessimistic, but getting a graduate town planning job in this country is virtually impossible to be honest with you. I graduated with a 1st in planning in 2010 and had summer internships already done to build up some planning experience and didn't even get one interview.

People in my class done town planning related job bridge schemes and still none of them managed to get a full time position from these.

Sounds bleak, but the good news is that getting work in the likes of Australia is a lot easier. I know some people from the same course that have got town planning jobs with 0 experience within a few months of moving over.

As far as I know, none of the people I graduated with in 2010 are working in town planning related jobs in this country. The only ones who are doing something related to it, have done a masters in something relevant to planning, like transport planning, and they have got jobs in the UK from that.

I gave up on planning and moved into GIS, but if you're determined, then I think emigration is the answer if it's an option for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭pj12332

Hi guys thanks for the responses, I really do not know if I am one to emigrate! I will have to sit down and have a think and talk to my partner. Thanks for the reply's. Any experiences/stories/advice are welcomed also! Just keep the head up and keep slugging away for now I guess!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭cianoc07

Any luck PJ?

Im done construction management and thinking of doing something like urban planning. but from my reading up seems to be no jobs??

it looks like il have to look into environmental or energy management

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭pj12332

Hi Cian I have given you a run down of things from my perspective on the other forum you commented on. In short no haha. No luck in planning. Sure look at the other forum and pm me if you have any other questions. cheers

Advertisement