Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do those who dislke working in Practise do?

Options
  • 10-02-2013 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi,

I am a recently qualified ACCA accountant and want to get out of Practise.
    This is a abroad topic where Im looking for advice from like-minded souls who dislike working in practise, especially Audit, and see what roles do they perform & even enjoy!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Hi,

I am a recently qualified ACCA accountant and want to get out of Practise.
    This is a abroad topic where Im looking for advice from like-minded souls who dislike working in practise, especially Audit, and see what roles do they perform & even enjoy!

Well I left a big four and accounting within weeks of qualifying and got involved in designing and writing simulation software - I liked the application of math to business problems. I worked mainly on warehousing and logistics problems.

Another colleague became a potter and later I believe a professional fiddle player!

Yet another left to become a sheep farmer in north Donegal (he was originally from Dublin)

A more recent one has signed up to learn how to be a watch maker...

Find something you are passionate about and do that! Life is more interesting that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Never worked practice, never will. have been employed in retail, gambling and manufacturing sectors since started ACCA both with large companies (13,000 people plus) and small one (12 people)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 MagicWanderer

Truly fascinating and inspiring.
    Thank-you both, wow, great.
    Would love to hear more.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 JM_2009

Are you in big 4 practice? I left big 4 and went to Funds , which is terribly boring. Thinking of going back to practice now

JM_2009 wrote: »
    Are you in big 4 practice? I left big 4 and went to Funds , which is terribly boring. Thinking of going back to practice now

Funds!!! That's worse than watching paint dry...

• Advertisement

I know that now. Thinking of going into a smaller practice.

Part of me thinks I am mad to even think about it , as I was not a big fan of Big 4 however I have to admit I am intrigued to see if it is any different in a smaller place or if it would be easier to make a good name for myself . Time will tell I guess

I know that now. Thinking of going into a smaller practice.

Part of me thinks I am mad to even think about it , as I was not a big fan of Big 4 however I have to admit I am intrigued to see if it is any different in a smaller place or if it would be easier to make a good name for myself . Time will tell I guess

Yes, but what are you passionate about? What are you interested in?

For me it's software, I get a kick out of seeing people using the applications I write. I enjoy the creativity - hitting run and seeing your ideas come up on screen is a lot of fun...

It would not be software anyway.

I want to have plenty of experience in IFRS and would love to be in a situation where I could set up my own practice and make plenty of money.

Reckon I will leave funds this year. The only thing that keeps me there is that it is a cushy number the people are fantastic and I get to leave every day at 5,30.

Don't suppose you have any idea of what working in a smaller practice is like Jim?

Don't suppose you have any idea of what working in a smaller practice is like Jim?

Well assuming that it is going to be a typical small practice, the emphasis is going to be on:
    - Account preparation
    - Tax submissions
    - Grant/loan applications
    - Charities
    - Bookkeeping services
    - SME audits (mainly validation of accounting through supporting documentation etc.)

It is also very different working for yourself, first of all you are running a business and secondly you are relying on clients walking through the door, there is no guaranteed pay cheque at the end of the month.

I usually work for myself as do most of my colleagues and some of the pet hates are:
    - Drumming up business
    - Chasing people to get payment
    - Self reliance: you make the calls and have to live with them, there is no one looking over your shoulder.
    - Staff issues (some times like a kindergarten!)

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭phunkymonk

Working in funds at the minute and trying to get out is proving a bit difficult. I am almost ACCA qualified and if I stay in funds might aswel throw the qualification out the window IMO - asked the manager the last day if they take into account people who are doing exams and successfully passing them when they decide on salary increases - simply no, said the exams are good for you but i wouldnt factor them into salary increases. bit of a joke tbh.

I have a little bit of audit experience and considering going back into it to add some value to the qualification and then move into iindustry. HAve been looking in industry but I think once a company see funds on the CV they prob put it down!

• Advertisement
Advertisement