Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

prescription drugs in Tesco pharmacy Naas

Options
  • 10-02-2013 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

Was doing my shopping in Tesco Extra in Naas when I saw a sign that you can save money on your medication at their pharmacy. I pay the maximium €144 a month even though i get generics (i think it would be more than that but the government pays the balance) and I thought that it would still come to the €144 but was shocked to get a quote of €98 for the exact same drugs.
    Worked out that i will be saving around €600 a year from this!!
    Pays to shop around!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭mightybashful

That pharmacy is deadly. Knocked 30 odd euros a month off my bill. Thought the chemist in finglas tesco was the same deal. Man was I wrong!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

The one in Clearwater (?) is not a Tesco one at all, its just a chemist that rents a space at the back of the shop off Tesco, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 roozer

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    The one in Clearwater (?) is not a Tesco one at all, its just a chemist that rents a space at the back of the shop off Tesco, right?

Your right, I think the only ones with pharmacies are portlaoise and naas. (was last time I checked anyways)
    I have made similar savings with them.
    I travel up from Kilkenny and get 6 months at a time. I just ring the day before and it's all ready for me. well worth the trip twice a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭random10

Wexford also has a tesco pharmacy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

fisher8181 wrote: »
    Was doing my shopping in Tesco Extra in Naas when I saw a sign that you can save money on your medication at their pharmacy. I pay the maximium €144 a month even though i get generics (i think it would be more than that but the government pays the balance) and I thought that it would still come to the €144 but was shocked to get a quote of €98 for the exact same drugs.
    Worked out that i will be saving around €600 a year from this!!
    Pays to shop around!!

My pharmacy told me my tablets are not available in generic and they are 40 odd euro a month. Got them in Tesco for €21.89

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Balbriggan also have one, along with an opticians.

Last prescription I filled there was over 50% less expensive than my local chemist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

Wouldnt mind this crowd coming down south. Any news on whether Cork or Waterford might get a Tesco Pharm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭TOMP

How can you get 6 months supply at a time? My pharmacy will only give 1 months supply at a time. Are you getting a prescription or just over the counter medicines?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

TOMP wrote: »
    How can you get 6 months supply at a time? My pharmacy will only give 1 months supply at a time. Are you getting a prescription or just over the counter medicines?

If you've a scrip for six months then you can fill it all at once if you are paying for it.

If you are using the 144 a month card or any other medical card, you can just do one month at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭mightybashful

Stheno wrote: »

If you've a scrip for six months then you can fill it all at once if you are paying for it.

If you are using the 144 a month card or any other medical card, you can just do one month at a time.

So you don't claim money back in your DPP card?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Anyone getting seretide inhalers from Tesco Pharmacy? I'd be willing to travel to save a few quid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Boots was slightly cheaper for me in my experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

I'll be over near a Tesco Pharmacy next week. The date on the prescription is the 19th as that is when I'll run out of medication. Can I get it filled now or do I have to wait untill the 19th? Wouldn't mind getting it cheaper!

So you don't claim money back in your DPP card?

Is that the €144 a month card? If so no, as when I did (rarely) need a scrip for six months it was for steroid creams which were about 10e a month, but by buying them all at once I'd only to pay one dispensing fee.

For any bills that will go over 144e a month I use the DPP card, fairly rare for me tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭kdowling

Boots was slightly cheaper for me in my experience.

Boots are slightly cheaper on a small number of items, less than 10% I think.

Vuzuggu wrote: »
    I'll be over near a Tesco Pharmacy next week. The date on the prescription is the 19th as that is when I'll run out of medication. Can I get it filled now or do I have to wait untill the 19th? Wouldn't mind getting it cheaper!

No, you don't have to wait until the 19th

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Is that the €144 a month card? If so no, as when I did (rarely) need a scrip for six months it was for steroid creams which were about 10e a month, but by buying them all at once I'd only to pay one dispensing fee.

For any bills that will go over 144e a month I use the DPP card, fairly rare for me tbh

Betnovate? Do you have a price for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭me4many

Balbriggan also have one, along with an opticians.

Last prescription I filled there was over 50% less expensive than my local chemist.

Whats the name of the chemist.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Betnovate? Do you have a price for that?
    €10 a tube in my local chemist, dunno about Tesco
    me4many wrote: »
    Whats the name of the chemist.

Tesco in Balbriggan? My local one is a McCabes.

apparently there is a new tesco pharmacy opening in Clarehall next month.
    Thats the flagship store and in a good location so will be interesting to see how that one goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

kdowling wrote: »
    apparently there is a new tesco pharmacy opening in Clarehall next month.
    Thats the flagship store and in a good location so will be interesting to see how that one goes.
    I think Naas is the flagship now, clarehall was back in 2008, then Maynooth

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭nino1

Tesco is Seriously cheap. Most pharmacies are charging 50% markup and a 7 euro dispensing fee; PER ITEM!!! Tesco are 20% and 3.50, and if you get more that one month there is no dispensing fee on the second month ect...... Means theres a hell of a saving to be made.... Pharmacies in Ireland have been making a killing!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Tesco Ireland announced recently that they are getting out of the electronics side of the business. Are they creating the instore space for a pharmacy across their larger outlets?

kn wrote: »
    Tesco Ireland announced recently that they are getting out of the electronics side of the business. Are they creating the instore space for a pharmacy across their larger outlets?

First I've heard of it? Have you a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

First I've heard of it? Have you a link?

I heard/read it a week or two ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭another native

RTE News (business) carried it in early June, stating that Tesco said "it was pulling out of unprofitable consumer electronics which take up a lot of space and don't make much money."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Okay so does that mean that they are cutting back on the amount of electronics that they have in the store or are they getting rid of having them in there full stop? It's a pity, I used them.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I'm sorry... You spend (at least ) €144 a month on prescription drugs???? Seriously??? I'm assuming its not just neruofun plus...

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭nino1

Zascar wrote: »
    I'm sorry... You spend (at least ) €144 a month on prescription drugs???? Seriously??? I'm assuming its not just neruofun plus...

why would that surprise you?

• Advertisement

Zascar wrote: »
    why would that surprise you? prescription drugs for diabetics can cost hundreds monthly.

anything over ¢144 the government pays for.

neurofin plus isn't a prescription drug either.

Advertisement