Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Twins and so many question

Options
  • 09-02-2013 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

Just found out I'm expecting twins. Instead of being delighted I'm scared. Lucky that they seem healthy so far! So trying to be pro active and get answers to my question.

Matenity leave
    Is it the same as for 1 baby? I've to start my leave 2 weeks before due date but as they probably won't go full term what date do I give HR. What do I tell them.

Semi private care
    I booked semi private as insurance is paying for a lot of it but what happens if babies need intense care if I've to pay I won't be able to afford it.

Finance
    This has me in a state of panic! But we'll just get second hand buggy and car seats. We've got one child already so I'm confused at how much in benefits we'll get. Any one know?

So all tips and help on experienced twin mums and dads much appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Congratulations :-) I'm expecting twins too, identical twins in May. They're my first. So I'm learning as I go but there is loads of info out there.

IMBA are worth joining - Irish Association for Twins and Multiples. They have a fb page which is a wealth of info, you can get discounts on certain things such as clarks shoes and there are mother and baby clubs in a lot of towns. None in mine yet unfortunately. They also run antenatal classes so we're going to one especiallly for twins as not available through my hospital.

Also, there is a great fb page for mums breastfeeding twins "Breastfeeding twins in ireland" if that's something you might do? Great support.

Maternity leave is the same as for one baby unfortunately.

Child benefit is more, 1.5 times. If it's your first two babies I think it's €390 but may be slightly less if you already have a child. citizensinfo have all the information on their website.

I'm going private but before I did I rang health insurance provider. They said any admissions prior to the birth would be paid as normal, just as for any other medical issue, so no worries there. Good question re. special care for babies, I haven't checked that but would say it's also covered.

Another great website for second hand gear is "not just for twins" on fb and rollercoaster.ie also has classified ads. Lots of buggies on adverts.ie and donedeal.

I'm sure there will be more experienced parents of twins here so can advise but hope that helps.

I find some days I'm so excited and then other days feel totally overwhelmed. I think it's to be expected, double the hormones!!! Look after yourself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭happydayz8

Thanks so much for taking the time to write all that down for me blue sky! Its pretty amazing and I'm warming to the idea. I will check out all those sites now. Hope you are doing well and I'll keep an eye out for your posts so I can learn.

Me again. Having a bad day. Just back from Hospital and after every one was telling me I'll get great care I feel a bit low.
    All they did was bloods and now I'm not seing any one for a month. I'll be 16 weeks by then with no official scan or any thing done. When will they even find out if its identical or not, thought they had to do that ealy on. Just really concerned and low now.

Can any one else tell me what care they got with twins. My doctor told me I'll be looked after by the twin clinic but no mentioning of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Sorry to hear you're not feeling great. I had a scan at 12 weeks and was told they were identical twins then. I was in the public system at that stage and they didn't want to see me again until 20 weeks. I then went private. No twin clinic in my hospital. But each hospital has a slightly different procedure. What hospital are you attending? I'd recommend you join the IMBA facebook page and ask there, lots of mums of twins there who would be able to help more. And if concerned, maybe contact your GP?

Blueskye wrote: »
    Sorry to hear you're not feeling great. I had a scan at 12 weeks and was told they were identical twins then. I was in the public system at that stage and they didn't want to see me again until 20 weeks. I then went private. No twin clinic in my hospital. But each hospital has a slightly different procedure. What hospital are you attending? I'd recommend you join the IMBA facebook page and ask there, lots of mums of twins there who would be able to help more. And if concerned, maybe contact your GP?

Thanks Blueskye. I'm attending Holles Street semi private. Don't get me wrong, they where very friendly. I will join the facebook group and also ring them again tomorrow. Maybe if they could just bring my consultant appt forward I'd be happier. If it was down to the hospital I wouldn't know for an other 2-4 weeks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement