Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advice about a greyhound with a spinal injury.

Options
  • 09-02-2013 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭

My mother's mostly-greyhound was tearing around outside a week ago when he injured his spine. We don't know what happened, he must have tripped or tried to turn too tightly, but he's pretty much paralysed in his back legs. He has a a tiny bit of control in one leg, an a teeny bit more in the other, but he's looking at a long recovery and possibly surgery. He spent a few days at the vet but he's home now being very well minded. Obviously he can't walk, and although he has some control of his bowels and urinary function, he has to be cleaned a couple of times a day.
    Two questions:
    1: Anybody else been through this with a large, leggy and highly-strung dog? Please tell us it gets better.
    2: We need to get a cage that allows her to get to him without having to pull him out through a door. Really he needs to be lifted in and out. He's heavy and awkward and she can just about manage, but we have to keep him closely confined. Any recommendations for large cages or crates? Maybe something that collapses easily around him?
    This poor chap had a bad old start in life and he's very precious to my mother. Any help of any sort would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Same thing happened to one of my huskies at the end of last year, I thought he'd never walk again, he was just running across our field, next thing, he was dragging his back legs. Straight to the vets, he stayed in for a couple of days, xrays were done, nothing showed up, so he was on crate rest for 6 weeks. He was on steroids, anti-inflammatories and painkillers, so was actually quite happy just to sleep all day and night for the first few weeks. I had lots of vet bedding, which I would just change, as he had no bladder control.

I took him back to the vets last night, as I thought he was losing weight, turns out he's put 3kg on, its just muscle wastage making me think he feels thin. The vet was absolutely delighted with him, he is walking almost completely normally, his back legs go a bit wobbly sometimes, but hes getting lead walks every day to build his muscles back up, and he goes charging out the back door with the other dogs, no matter how I try to keep him from doing it.

Don't give up hope, I really thought that we were going to lose him, as I couldn't imagine Diesel being happy not being able to walk. He's a working husky, well he was, I don't think he'll ever pull again, but he can go for walks, and play with the other dogs, so he'll have a great life.

Have you got any kongs? I'd suggest buying some kongs, and putting his food in there, freezing it for a few hours, so that it takes him longer to get the food out, keeping his mind occupied. You can also get dog toys, Nina Ottosson ones are great, you put treats in different compartments, and the dog has to work out how to get the food out, really wears them out, using their brain.

Regarding crates, I have just the normal metal ones, I always have some up around the house anyway, so Diesel was used to them, and in fact sleeps in one most nights by choice, with the door open. I got mine in the UK when I was over there, but I've always heard good reviews of this store, quick delivery and great price http://www.jebbtools.ie/animal-products/dog-crates If you wanted something that was open on top, then a puppy pen would be best, if you look on zooplus, places like that you should see them, just not sure they would be tall enough for a greyhound cross. But have a look, see what you think.

Best of luck, it does get better, it isn't easy keeping a dog confined that isn't used to it, but those 6 weeks should mean the rest of a life with mobility. Maybe ask your vet for medication to help keep the dog quiet? i don't mean heavy sedation, but the medication Diesel was on, really did help to keep him quiet and placid, and give his spine time to heal.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Aru

If he has full function in his front legs and most importantly that the spine is considered to be stable.has he had spinal xrays?
    You could put a large towel under him..ie around his lower abdomen..and use this to lift up the hindquarters and let him walk on his front feet to go out to the toilet. This is how we manage dogs post surgery and usually one person can manage as long as the dogs are using their front paws.
    Also vetbeds are a god sent as they wick away the moisture to a certain extent so at least he would be relatively dry if he is wetting his bedding.

A cage may be difficult for an dog this size would you be able to close off an area a little bigger than his bed with timber boards? or a child gate? crates are awkward for these guys as unless they have a low door they can be difficult to maneuver in and out of....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

An x/playpen might be an idea - would he try to jump out though? Or maybe if you could fence an area off with a baby gate - amazon sell ones that have a few sections like a gate and sides etc?
    Not a spinal injury but my dog has been on crate rest twice for operations on his legs. It does get much easier especially when you get into a routine and are able to keep them settled eg with kongs or simple training/clicker games to wear them out. The painkillers would knock them out a bit too and we also used a dap plugin beside the crate which seemed to make a difference. The biggest thing you have to watch out for is the fact that dogs don't show their in pain and mightn't realise they're in pain if they're on painkillers - don't let him fool you into thinking he's doing great and letting your guard slip - you need to be really really strict with the confinement and recovery for his own good. As an example my dog walked out of the vet hospital 4 or 5 hours after having his leg basically broken and held together with pins and plates - not a bother on him!

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭golden8

If your on Facebook look up Mollie the Collie, that dog was in a accident and has paralysis of the backt however she is on wheels and loving it chasing balls.

Advertisement