Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Investing for my grandchildren

Options
  • 08-02-2013 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

I Currenently put away some money for my grandchildren for birthdays and the like.I was doing this in the local credit union,however this has not paid any divident since 2008/2009.I want change this to somewhere else.However I do not want my children to know how much I'm putting in. Any ideas's of of how or where I can do this?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭superb choice of username

How much are we talking?

You can a deposit account, in your own name, for up to 3% (Ulsterbank regular savings 0-15,000, with annual interest payments @ http://www.ulsterbank.ie/roi/personal/saving/regular-savings/sida/rates.ashx ). You're definitely not going to beat 2.8%-3% with a bank. Most likely you're top end would be 2.6%. This is before DIRT.

You'd struggle (from personal experience), from opening a kids account as a grandparent with the banks. I'm an uncle and tried opening account for kids - banks said it's too much hassle.

That's probably the safest bet - a deposit account. Since it's for the kids, you can afford to get a medium term one (8-12 months). Things should pick up over the medium term - you can move the money after a year when we know how the 'financial environment' is. I know some investment portfolio's have done well, with around 8-9% returns at the year end. But yeah, risky - and they have had quite a whilst with losses. So, again, for security, put it into a nice deposit account!

Advertisement