Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting tooth removed :(

Options
  • 08-02-2013 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭

I was eating a roll last night & one of my molars broke. There was a small hole in it for the last few months but I thought I'd get away with it until I had the baby because I wanted to avoid any injections.
    Anyway I have the option of root canal or extraction. I'm thinking of going for an extraction because a) I hate the dentist & everything to do with him b) I hopefully won't be in the chair as long & c) it won't be visible when my mouth is open or when talking or smiling.

I'm just wondering has anyone had a tooth removed or dental work done during pregnancy? And how painful is it to have a molar tooth removed? Should I book time off work to recover?
    I'd post this in the dental forum but it doesn't get much traffic & I'd like the opinion of pregnant ladies as to what to expect as regards pain relief, what's safe etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭LoopyLolly88

Ive had a few fillings while pregnant on my last & all was fine. Ive had 2 back teeth removed wasn't pregnant at the time though,getting them out was fine didn't hurt just pressure. I had a dry socket on one so that was quiet painfull after but got painkillers from dentist,the other one was a bit sore but nothing terrible. Ive also had root canal done twice & didn't hurt one bit, took 2 appointments each but saved the teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

I had a molar removed when I was about 8 weeks pregnant so at that stage I was terrified of misscarriage due to infection. My tooth was on the way out for a while and to be honest the pain I was in before extraction made my mind up for me! I have a lovely dentist (she's my cousin so I'm prob biased :)) and she was very gentle. Tooth was out in seconds, I actually cried with shock it was so quick!

Only problem is you're not allowed anti biotics afterwards which they'd usually give you to avoid infection. You just have to be super extra careful and salt water rinse religiously, being careful to avoid dry socket. As far as pain relief all you're allowed is paracetamol, nothing else. I was fine afterwards though and didn't need pain relief. As I say the pain I was in before I got it out was unreal!!

I was pretty shaken straight afterwards and a bit wobbly for a day or so, my husband drove me there and back so make sure you have someone to bring you, my dentist insisted on this. I had my tooth out on Saturday and was back in work Monday but take as much time as you need.

A pain in the neck and something you'd rather not have to deal with while pregnant but you'll be fine, will be a relief once it's done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

Thanks for the replies ladies.
    I'm considering pureeing my food & just accepting I don't ever need to chew again so I can avoid the dentist :(. I really, really hate it.
    It's my own fault. I always leave it until the last minute before I go.
    Does the removal take long from start to finish?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Not long at all but it does depend on your tooth to be honest. Mine for example, dentist examined me, gave me the two numbing injections. Sent me into the waiting room for 20 minutes, back in, put the clamp on the tooth (tiny pinch with this) wiggle the tooth three times or so and it popped out! Literally as easy as that! I was terrified of extraction beforehand but would have no problem doing it again.

My youngest sister recently did her work experience with our cousin so saw a few extractions and she said longest she saw dentist wiggling at the tooth was a few minutes... You hopefully won't be in the chair long at all. You will be ok, hugs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭LoopyLolly88

I used to be terrified of going to the dentist but after so much pain decided enough is enough. Ull be fine :) no doesn't take long at all to remove the tooth,over before you know it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I'd suggest you post over on the dental forum as a few dentists post there regularly so you'll get answers from the experts. I have one molar which needs a crown and typical in the last week it's been very sensitive. Like you I was hoping it'd hold out until the baby is born but I think I need to have a chat with my dentist who's really lovely thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

Some teeth take 10 seconds to take out. Others take 30 minutes. It depends on the tooth. Just because once person had a tooth taken out in no time...or someone else had a really difficult tooth to remove, these have nothing to do with YOUR tooth. Regardless of how long it takes, once you are numb you should feel no pain, just some pressure sensation.

Quite often if someone is pregnant they can have the FIRST stage of root canal treatment done (if indeed root canal is whats needed!) and a temporary filling placed which should keep you going until after the birth, then you can have the proper root canal done afterwards (assuming the tooth is fixable). Usually the full root canal is left 'till after the pregnancy (to avoid x-rays etc). You can still have the tooth numbed up when you are pregnant to get the first stage root canal done.

Best advice is at least get it looked at soon, nothing worse than a bad toothache days before giving birth, and believe me it happens!

Best of luck!

Advertisement