Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Received wrong grant award

Options
  • 08-02-2013 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭

Hi all, I was hoping somebody might be able to help me. I just found out I have received the wrong grant award, instead of been awarded the special rate grant I got the 100 maintenance grant. I was told by susi staff over the telephone that I would not be entitled to special rate grant. I just found out I am entitled to special rate as i earned well under 22,000. I have put in an appeals form but it states that you have to appeal by 30 days and then another 30 after that on the discretion of the appeals officer, I am well over the 60 days as i was awarded mid November. Can anybody tell me will they over look this as It was simple not my fault - this is my first year applying for grant so I did not know what I was entitled to and I was giving the wrong information by susi (which I stated in my appeals form) I am struggling big time in college so an extra 300 a month would be a massive help to me.

Many thanks for the help apologies for long message!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,932 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Were you receiving a social welfare payment?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭fairycakes

No but I earned under 5000 for the year does that make any difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 redrozy

the special rate only applies to people who were receiving certain Social Welfare payments. Check out citizens information

• Registered Users Posts: 40,932 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

(7) It is a condition of receiving a special rate of maintenance grant that an applicant’s reckonable income must include, on the specified date, one of the eligible payments as provided for in Schedule 2

SCHEDULE 2

Eligible payments for the special rate of maintenance grant for the 2012/13 academic year As at31 December 2011, the reckonable income must include one of the eligible payments listed in this Schedule net of—

(a)income disregards (as set out in article 22 (4) of this Scheme); and
    (b) Child Dependant Increase (C.D.I.) where paid by the Department of Social Protection.

Social Assistance Payments
    1. Blind Pension
    2. Carer’s Allowance
    3. One Parent Family Payment
    4. Deserted Wife’s Allowance
    5. Disability Allowance
    6. Farm Assist
    7. Jobseeker’s Allowance (where held for 391 days or more)*
    8. State Pension (Non-Contributory)
    9. Guardian’s Payment (Non-Contributory) 10. Pre-retirement allowance
    11. Widow’s Widower’s or Surviving Civil Partners (Non-Contributory) Pension

Social Insurance Payments
    12. Carer’s Benefit
    13. Deserted Wife’s Benefit
    14. Invalidity pension
    15. Incapacity Supplement
    16. Occupational Injuries Death Benefit (Orphan’s pension)
    17. Occupational Injuries Death Benefit (pension for a widow or widower)
    18. State Pension (Contributory)
    19. Guardian’s Payment (Contributory)
    20. Jobseeker’s Benefit (continuous for at least 12 months)
    21. Widow’s Widower’s or Surviving Civil Partners (Contributory) Pension
    22. State Pension (Transition)

DesignatedProgrammes
    23. Back to Education Allowance (Second Level and Third Level Options)
    24. Back to Work Allowance (Employees)
    25. Back to Work Enterprise Allowance
    26. Community Employment Scheme
    27. Rural Social Scheme
    28. Tús Initiative
    29. FÁS Training Programmes including Apprenticeships
    30. Part time job incentive scheme
    31. Vocational Training Opportunities Scheme (VTOS)

Others
    32. Foster Care Allowance where paid in respect of the applicant
    33. Family Income Supplement(FIS)
    34. In receipt of payments under the FIT (Fastrack to IT) initiative equivalent to a social welfare payment;
    35. Participants on a training course approved by a Government Department State Agency or Area Partnership and who were in receipt of an eligible payment prior to progressing to the programme; 36. Grant aided employees in Community Services Programmes (formerly social economy enterprises);
    37. In receipt of payments under the Senior Traveller Training Centre programmes.

*Combine periods of jobseeker’s Allowance and Jobseeker’s Benefit and other eligible payments for purposes of meeting 391 days.

The Department of Social Protection Illness Benefit can also be used to combine periods of Jobseeker’s Allowance and Jobseeker’s Benefit provided a period of Jobseeker’s Allowance or Jobseeker’s Benefit comes directly before and directly after the period of Illness Benefit

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement