Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going wild.

Options
  • 08-02-2013 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hello,

Long story short...i have no job...my girlfriend either...so rather than saying "homeless" we decided to call it "outdoor hippies" :) so we have 1k euros left. the main plan is to buy a 500 euros caravan...and other esential equipment for the other 500. She loves to write and i love nature, so we settled to find a remote place in a forest, where we can do our things, preferably for the lowest costs posible. i might have to become an expert mushroom picker pretty fast.
    We are located in the wocklow county, so wicklow park was our first choice.
    Does anyone know any places we should consider ? we will need a river/stream...and if fishing is posible would be great.
    We have been camping before, and we love it, but we would greatly apreciate any insights, because we kind of feel once we start it there will be no returt. at least for a while. lol :)
    So...survival tips ? easy to find food in the forest ? Locations where the park rangers won't shoo us away ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭emo72

that all sounds like a really bad idea. sorry. i wish i could be more positive but there is so many things that could go wrong with that plan.

edit. first of all if you have to enquire on a forum about what to do, then you should definitely think of an altenative plan. i would try go camping for a week in the wilds first to see how that goes for you. best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

I agree it's not a realistic idea at all, i would be looking at how i could turn that 1k into more money instead of wasting it. because that is all you will be doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 yaurt

is it really that unplausible these days to find a forest and live in it ? maybe its just because im from a diferent part of the world...but...we're not talking about hunting bears here...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭emo72

we dont really have a lot of "wild". the country is too small, and a lot of the forest in wicklow is really protected.

this post is being reposted in the "survival & self sustainance" thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,422 ✭✭✭✭Alun

yaurt wrote: »
    is it really that unplausible these days to find a forest and live in it ?
    Yes, because all forests, or indeed all land come to that, belong to someone, either private individuals or state organisations, neither of which is going to be too happy with random people wanting to 'live' in them :D Maybe where you come from there's still land that doesn't belong to someone, somewhere, but not here.

yeah...im from romania, so there are large forests...no one watches them....teaming with wildlife...but lots of big predators too...bears/wolves..but they are usually to afraid to come close to camps...so...bottom line is....ireland is not the place to have that experience ? anyone any insights about the continent ? i know the farther we would go towards the east (even ukraine, my grandparents are from russia) the easyer it would be to be "free" from that point of view...but...we also want the "peacefull western european people" thing going on...so...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,422 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Have you thought about maybe being a warden for a mountain hut somewhere? Usually very remote, especially in winter, but with visitors to break the monotony. I was in Northern Spain, in the Picos de Europa National Park last year, and there were some very remote cabins up in the mountains with live-in hosts, some with families.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

He's got three children with him too, just so we're all on the same page.

hahaha :) love the lack the of judgement. :) also the open mindness. and just so you won't trace my ip and call the authorities...we have where to live...and we can live there...by expecting money from people whom are expecting things from us. either way. :) have to say it. not many tips. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

best tip for you mate! Go Home! We have enough problems here!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Alun wrote: »
    I was in Northern Spain, in the Picos de Europa National Park last year
    fantastic part of the world. we were in ribadesella; fantastic eating, cave paintings, and big dinosaur footprints all about a ten minute walk from the hotel.

Advertisement