Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Missing Objects

Options
  • 08-02-2013 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭

I was talking to someone on a sports forum I visit, and the thread was about nice things from the past.

I mentioned toasted crumpets done over an open fire on a toasting fork. (My gran used to do them for me)

Then it struck me, I haven't seen a toasting fork in many many years. Do they still exist?

Using an electric toaster is fine, using a grill is ok too. but the wonderful taste and expectation of toasted crumpets as they cook over an open fire is something I really fancy sometimes. Just for old time's sake.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,136 ✭✭✭✭looksee

We used have toasting fork - it was a wire thing with a slide-out section to make it longer, it was there as long as I can remember and its probably still around somewhere. Toast and dripping mmmm

My dad had a three-legged cobblers 'anvil' thingy - I know it has a name but I can't remember. It had different sized and shaped 'feet' in a sort of L shaped arrangement. It got good use too!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

The cobblers thingy is called a last. :)

I miss fish knives.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Thanks OG, that's it.

Now, an admission from my childhood. You remember in the days when the wc was separate from the bathroom (because no-one washed their hands after using the loo presumably)? And in posh wcs there would be a pristine small, white linen towel hanging. I could never figure out what it was there for :). Did it have a use (mind boggles) or was it just a bit of posh that people didn't really know why they were doing it? Half a century or more on, I would love to know!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

My dad got rid of three cobblers lasts when he moved from his house to sheltered accommodation. I used to use the biggest one as an anvil. The toasting fork I remember my gran using was one of those wire trident things that pulled out telescopic fashion too.

I still have a set of 6 fish knives by the way I inherited from my mum who never used them and before that my gran. I find them pretty useful although a couple of them the handles are splitting.

I wonder if I can get some stainless steel wire and make a toasting fork??? Hmm food for thought there. (No pun intended)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Funny you should post this. I was just thinking the other day, we never hear of 'cake plates' or 'bread and butter plates' anymore. How sweet! But was it just a figment of my mum's imagination? These days any plate that's handy is used.

P.S. We also had a last. After mum died and I had to clear out her home and I dumped so much stuff. I didn't want to get rid of anything but I didn't have room for all her 'sticks of furniture' as she described it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

There was a last in my home too. As an occasional weight - no-one made shoes :D

And an adze :)

I think a last used to be one of those practical things no home should be without! I just googled an adze. I found a Youtube video entitled 'Working with Adze on a large Burl'.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

An adze was a useful tool once upon a time. I have a pickaxe/adze hybrid, but I am not sure I have ever used it. The pampas grass may get a close examination of it this summer though.

I seem to have hoarded some rubbish over the years.

I promised myself I would de-hoard this year. I keep a lot of junk too. However, I watch 'Hoarders' on TV to keep me from losing the plot altogether. God knows what I will find.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Berckoise

The last in our house was used for shoe repairs. In the 50's you could buy readymade rubber soles and a special glue. My father was hardworking and enthusiastic rather than a superb craftsman so the result was often less than perfect :mad:

• Advertisement

Berckoise wrote: »
    The last in our house was used for shoe repairs. In the 50's you could buy readymade rubber soles and a special glue. My father was hardworking and enthusiastic rather than a superb craftsman so the result was often less than perfect :mad:

Yup, that was it, and heels, and special nails too. Certainly kept the shoes going a bit longer!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Lexicographer

Shoe repairs back on the up with the recession.

Yep! And costing almost the same price as a new pair of shoes! Well, the same price as a pair of shoes that I would buy anyway! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

Our "last" is still knocking about somewhere:) We made a gate frame from the old fireplace crane which is still doing a job.
    We are renovating an old place as a retirement home for our mum and plan to include pieces from each of the places she lived, from the thatched cottage she was born in and the next two. So this summer many of these missing objects will have to be unearthed.

Advertisement