Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doctor that accepts medical card Old Bawn area

Options
  • 08-02-2013 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm applying for a Medical Card but unfortunately my doctor doesn't accept medical card patients (gutted as he's brilliant). So I'm looking for a decent doctor around Old Bawn or the surrounding areas. I have a car so I can commute within reason. I would be open to doctors in the Templeogue/ rathfarnham area too.

All recommendations welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Not sure about old bawn but Springfield medical center 5 mins away is great , Dr.Smith in particular is highly rated ,

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Two surgeries on Old Bawn Way (Coady and Cantwell) and one on Old Bawn Road (can't remember the GP name). Pretty sure all are GMS.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Maddylicious

Thanks @gatling!

@MYOB
    Would you recommend any in that centre?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Just know them through work rather than using them so wouldn't be able to recommend any particular doctor, sorry.

Dr Lincoln is the one on Old Bawn Road, finally remembered.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ruamar

Not sure that I would recommend it myself. The doctors are grand but sometimes the queueing is too much. Surgery is supposed to open at 10:00, queue starts at 9:45, put your name down on the list. Doctors arrive sometime around 11:00 (they also serve and visit old folks homes). The waiting room can at best be described as grubby.

My last visit was an afternoon appointment, two doctors on, six people in front of me, in at 2:00 wasn't seen until after 4:30.

Can I ask which doctor you were using? Do they not accept medical cards at all or are they just full?

• Advertisement

ruamar wrote: »
    Not sure that I would recommend it myself. The doctors are grand but sometimes the queueing is too much. Surgery is supposed to open at 10:00, queue starts at 9:45, put your name down on the list. Doctors arrive sometime around 11:00 (they also serve and visit old folks homes). The waiting room can at best be described as grubby.
    My last visit was an afternoon appointment, two doctors on, six people in front of me, in at 2:00 wasn't seen until after 4:30.

Can I ask which doctor you were using? Do they not accept medical cards at all or are they just full?

Hi Ruamar, thanks for the post!
    Is this the Springfield one or old Bawn one you're referring to?

My doctor is Doctor Ajina in Orwell. I think it's just a case that he's reached his quota! I would love to stay with him as he's an excellent GP

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ruamar

Hi Maddy

Sorry, I was referring to the one in Old Bawn.

The doctors are nice enough but waiting around for literally hours for an appointment can be too much, expecially if we ever have to bring the kids.

Andrew Coady is decent enough, a number of the clients complain about him and prefer to go to his father but he has been good with us if we ever need get in touch (usually about the kids). He gave us his mobile number years ago when our eldest was very ill (nothing life threatening but still required hospitalisation).

My main gripes concern the cleanliness of the surgery/waiting room, waiting and of course the prices (€60 a pop).

Hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I was a patient of Dr.Coady's for a number of years and although I really liked Des (older doctor), the queuing system is ridiculous.

You're not allowed ring up and make an appointment-you have to turn up and wait which could turn into hours.
    Waiting room there is really depressing and small so you're left trying to avoid eye contact with everyone.

Des is really nice, great bedside manner, but Andrew needs to be told how to communicate with people; I found him rude and obnoxious and not a bit friendly in all the times I had to deal with him.
    Most people avoid him and wait for his father, Des.

Thanks guys.. Have either of you since changed to a different doctor in the area or have you both sticked with Coady despite your gripes?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Thanks guys.. Have either of you since changed to a different doctor in the area or have you both sticked with Coady despite your gripes?

I left Coady's because I was moving but I also left because the system's terrible. Can't ring up and make an appointment, waiting all day for the doctor to see you.
    I'm with a different doctor in a different part of Dublin now.
    The doctor in Aylesbury is meant to be good..in the surgery beside Supervalu

• Advertisement
Advertisement