Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A good mic-pre and monitors?

Options
  • 08-02-2013 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Up until now I've mainly been writing music using VSTs in Cubase etc. I have a Lexicon IO 82 audio interface and some Rokit RP5 monitors.

I also have an SM57 and Beyerdynamic MCE 530 mics. I want to branch out a little more into live recording and need to buy a couple of bits and bobs.

I want to buy a mic-pre and was looking at this:

http://www.thomann.de/ie/spl_goldmike_9844.htm

Any good? I know someone who has one and they said its great, but I don't have enough experience in it.

Also, I was to purchase some Adam A7x monitors - are they the best bang for buck at 1000 for a pair?

Cheers

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,027 ✭✭✭fitz

What aren't you getting from the mic-pre's in your interface?
    The Goldmike wouldn't be a "proper" tube pre, it's a starved plate design afaik, so you're not really getting the tube sound you'd get from a "proper" tube design. You're paying €225 per channel, compared to €500+ for the likes of a Focusrite ISA One, an Avalon U5, the UA Solo 610 or the Blue Robbie...all single channel tube pre options...
    I'm not writing off a starved plate design, but if you're looking for a true tube sound, it's not going to get it for you.

Focal CMS are worth looking at in terms of monitors, and the Neumann KH120's are supposed to be great, for about €300 more than your monitor budget.
    Keep in mind, investing in the treatment of your recording/mixing space should be looked at too, no point putting cash into fancy monitors for a ringy, untreated room.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭musicformedia

fitz wrote: »
    Focal CMS are worth looking at in terms of monitors, and the Neumann KH120's are supposed to be great, for about €300 more than your monitor budget.
    Keep in mind, investing in the treatment of your recording/mixing space should be looked at too, no point putting cash into fancy monitors for a ringy, untreated room.

Hi, thanks for your suggestions.

In terms of room treatment - yup I absolutely agree. I'm in a good sized rectangular room, so I'm purchasing an Auralex Roominator kit (unless you can suggest a better manufacturer to go with/better bundle).

In terms of the mic-pre's in the interface, they seem fine, but I was told I should look into getting a more "robust and higher end" pre as it would sound better? (hence the SPL)

Thanks for the monitor suggestions :)

Hi, thanks for your suggestions.

In terms of room treatment - yup I absolutely agree. I'm in a good sized rectangular room, so I'm purchasing an Auralex Roominator kit (unless you can suggest a better manufacturer to go with/better bundle).

In terms of the mic-pre's in the interface, they seem fine, but I was told I should look into getting a more "robust and higher end" pre as it would sound better? (hence the SPL)

Thanks for the monitor suggestions :)

I edited my first reply above while you were replying...
    The SPL isn't what I'd consider a high end pre tbh.
    Whether you'll get "better" results with it than the stock pre's is probably debatable.
    Unless you need to record stereo, I'd be more inclined to go for a single channel along the lines of the examples I gave above.

I own the Solo 610, it's a great pre.
    When it comes to pre's you get what you pay for. Most of the stuff in the price per channel range of the SPL is going to be in or around the same quality. You take a step up with the single channels above €500, and then you start into channel strips around the €1000 mark that allow you to shape the sound of their high end pre section.

Recently got one of these: Tegeler Audio VTRC
    The difference it has made is night and day...the eq is stunning.

I used a Universal Acoustics kit for my room, but I also got rolls of Rockwool, left them in wrapping, and stacked them in the corners, covered in a light curtain for floor to ceiling bass traps. Two rolls per corner. Made a huge difference. I used the acoustic tiles to treat first reflection points.

Make sure you get stands and isolation pads for the monitors too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

i would suggest one of the new rme interfaces or a tc electronic if you want decent pres - the rme ones are good .

i use the tc one , i use the pres now on cymbals spot mics , but use to use them for everything - they will get you good results.

tube aint everything , your room and mix skills will override anything a tube can give you at first.
    and a good tube sound costs money .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭franktheplank

How many channels do you want to record at a time?

If you're looking at a drum kit, i'd recommend something like the audient asp008, 8 channels of high quality clean preamps.

For something a bit more coloured I've heard great things about the GAP 73. Haven't tried it myself but I have something similar ie a chinese made neve clone and they're very impressive.

• Advertisement

How many channels do you want to record at a time?

If you're looking at a drum kit, i'd recommend something like the audient asp008, 8 channels of high quality clean preamps.

For something a bit more coloured I've heard great things about the GAP 73. Haven't tried it myself but I have something similar ie a chinese made neve clone and they're very impressive.

The ASP008 is the best bang for the buck out there for 8 channels. Have one myself, brilliant for drums.

But as I said, if you only need one channel, put the budget into one hi quality pre rather than a stereo pre at that price range.
    The deluxe Gap is about that price, and the new Warmer Audio is an API clone, if you want that up front kind of sound. Lots of options.

fitz wrote: »
    The Goldmike wouldn't be a "proper" tube pre, it's a starved plate design afaik, so you're not really getting the tube sound you'd get from a "proper" tube design. You're paying €225 per channel, compared to €500+ for the likes of a Focusrite ISA One, an Avalon U5, the UA Solo 610 or the Blue Robbie...all single channel tube pre options...
    I'm not writing off a starved plate design, but if you're looking for a true tube sound, it's not going to get it for you.

Ignore the bold part btw, that's they're DI, the M5 is their mic pre, and it's much more expensive...
    </brainfart>

Advertisement