Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost Medical Card

Options
  • 08-02-2013 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

Hey !!

I have just discovered that I've lost my medical card. The problem is, I'm just after getting a prescription from my consultant.

Will I have to wait for a new medical card to be issued or will my local pharmacist have my medical card info on their system.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

I think your pharmacist can check the expiry date if they already have the number, if there's no problems you should be able to get your meds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

Have never been asked to produce my medical card when getting meds. I carry it, but am never asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

You can't get a consultant's prescription directly on your medical card. Your GP will have to re-write it for you. I know it's silly but that the rules. Your GP should have your number on file and if you have got prescriptions recently your pharmacist will have it. If you know the number your doctor or pharmacist can check on medicalcard.ie that it is still valid.
    A lot of people have lost their medical cards, as in no longer have one as opposed to having mislaid it. If you don't find yours you can ask them to reissue it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Lost as in you don't have the actual card in you possession, or lost as in you have lost your entitlement to have a card?
    If its the former, there should not be a problem; as others have mentioned the card's validity can easily be checked (as long as the number is known) and you don't have to physically produce the card*.
    If the latter, well then obviously it does matter; if you're not entitled you're not entitled, full stop.
    Does the letterhead of the prescription have the name or logo of a HSE-run hospital on the top, or is it a private prescription from a private consultant? If the prescription is from, say, Beaumont Hospital, then a pharmacy is allowed to dispense up to a week's supply against it if you're unable to get to your GP to have it transferred onto a Medical Card prescription, as long as you present in the pharmacy within 24h of the issue of the prescription. If the prescription is from, say, St Vincent's Private or the Blackrock Clinic, then it's a private prescription and has to be paid for.

* In my opinion, the rules should be changed so that you don't get anything unless you produce the card, but that's an argument for another day.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

In my opinion, the rules should be changed so that you don't get anything unless you produce the card, but that's an argument for another day.

+1

• Advertisement

RobFowl wrote: »

+1

What would be the rational? I'm not disagreeing, just wondering why

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

neemish wrote: »
    What would be the rational? I'm not disagreeing, just wondering why

What's the rationale? The attitude of people who demand free service and expect the pharmacy or surgery or hospital staff to go and check that they're entitled to free service. As far as I'm concerned, if you want me to treat you at the taxpayer's expense, then you should prove to me that that taxpayer will pay me, and if you can't prove it, then you should pay.

It is NOT my job to go looking for proof.

Lots of Irish people would get a real shock if they were abroad; just try turning up at a doctor's surgery in another country and saying "I don't have to give you any money, my insurance will pay. No, I don't have my insurance details with me. What? Don't you believe me? Are you calling me a liar?" etc etc etc.

What's the rationale? The attitude of people who demand free service and expect the pharmacy or surgery or hospital staff to go and check that they're entitled to free service. As far as I'm concerned, if you want me to treat you at the taxpayer's expense, then you should prove to me that that taxpayer will pay me, and if you can't prove it, then you should pay.

It is NOT my job to go looking for proof.

Lots of Irish people would get a real shock if they were abroad; just try turning up at a doctor's surgery in another country and saying "I don't have to give you any money, my insurance will pay. No, I don't have my insurance details with me. What? Don't you believe me? Are you calling me a liar?" etc etc etc.

Ok, but can you please not lump ALL medical card holders into one group. I have never demanded anything, i applied for and received a medical card on medical grounds. I don't run to my gp for every sniffle and i am well aware of the paltry sum of money she receives for having me ob her list. I would like to think that there are other medical card holders who are like this.

I would have no hassle producing my medical card, and do so for dentists. I'm not sure why it isn't the same for gps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

People have no problem producing their loyalty card at the supermarket and most people carry around a purse full of them but they leave their medical card at home.

Problem with the medical card is that having one in date doesn't actually prove it is valid. Cards can be withdrawn before their expiry date, which is why GPs prefer to refer to their own records rather than check the card.

Advertisement