Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Vaio |Keyboard Spillage Help!

Options
  • 07-02-2013 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Yesterday my friend (the gimp!) spilled Lucozade on the keyboard of my Sony Vaio VPCEH3B1E. A lot of the keys are really stiff and hard to press because the Lucozade got into them.

I bought it from Harvey Norman and I'm wondering is it fixable and do they carry out these kind of repairs and how long would it take? I'm fairly sure its still under warranty because its less than a year old.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭HelpWithIT

They won't cover that under warranty unless you have Accidental Damage Cover, the keyboards can be sourced but I would not turn it on again until you get it fixed, if liquid seeps through to motherboard while it is switched on runs the risk of bricking your motherboard (-;

• Registered Users Posts: 81,913 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Your gimp better have money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Stick it in a bag of rice seriously or if you know what you are doing open it and try clean/dry it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 514 ✭✭✭RUSTEDCORE

HelpWithIT wrote: »
    They won't cover that under warranty unless you have Accidental Damage Cover, the keyboards can be sourced but I would not turn it on again until you get it fixed, if liquid seeps through to motherboard while it is switched on runs the risk of bricking your motherboard (-;

most likely has a metallic tray at the bottom and most liquid will have evaporated if he has had it on.

Keyboard replacement is relatively simple but you need the exact same model

You could actually take it out and clean it.. with most modern keyboards you could flood it with warm water then air dry it and make sure the ribbon cable is completely dry then put it back together.
    I would consider this a last resort before buying a replacement though.

RUSTEDCORE wrote: »
    most likely has a metallic tray at the bottom and most liquid will have evaporated if he has had it on.

Keyboard replacement is relatively simple but you need the exact same model

You could actually take it out and clean it.. with most modern keyboards you could flood it with warm water then air dry it and make sure the ribbon cable is completely dry then put it back together.
    I would consider this a last resort before buying a replacement though.

Can pick them up on ebay for less than 20 quid. Split bloody coke on the laptop other week everything working fine except had to buy a new keyboard.

• Advertisement

stevek93 wrote: »
    Can pick them up on ebay for less than 20 quid. Split bloody coke on the laptop other week everything working fine except had to buy a new keyboard.

Just checked on eBay...that model has a white keyboard and coming in at £42 sterling inc shipping, if it's lucozade it will have "carmelised" and will be a bitch to remove from the keyboard, fitting keyboard would cost €20-€30 max

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Take the keyboard out and fill the bath to a height of 1 foot with warm (not hot) water and stick the keyboard in to it and use a weight to keep it submerged and leave it for 20 minutes.

Then move the keyboard under-water left and right for 2 minutes and let settle again and do this 8 times. Then take the keyboard out and shake well and leave beside a warm radiator (not on the radiator) for 5 hours and then assemble keyboard back together and it should work fine. You could use a hairdryer on warm settings but do not keep in the same place as you don't want any melting of plastic components, move the hair-dryer around the top of the keyboard on all parts for a while and repeat a few times. It's a budget fix, but it usually fixes it good if done correctly.

Service manuals for sony vaio: http://www.laptoprepair101.com/laptop/2008/01/07/service-manuals-for-sony-vaio-laptops-notebooks/
    if it's lucozade it will have "carmelised" and will be a bitch to remove from the keyboard

It is a bitch to remove but warm water will remove it. The lucozade is a nasty one though but it can easily be fixed. Also you will have a new sparkling keyboard there after.

zenno wrote: »
    Take the keyboard out and fill the bath to a height of 1 foot with warm (not hot) water and stick the keyboard in to it and use a weight to keep it submerged and leave it for 20 minutes.

Then move the keyboard under-water left and right for 2 minutes and let settle again and do this 8 times. Then take the keyboard out and shake well and leave beside a warm radiator (not on the radiator) for 5 hours and then assemble keyboard back together and it should work fine. You could use a hairdryer on warm settings but do not keep in the same place as you don't want any melting of plastic components, move the hair-dryer around the top of the keyboard on all parts for a while and repeat a few times. It's a budget fix, but it usually fixes it good if done correctly.

Service manuals for sony vaio: http://www.laptoprepair101.com/laptop/2008/01/07/service-manuals-for-sony-vaio-laptops-notebooks/

It is a bitch to remove but warm water will remove it. The lucozade is a nasty one though but it can easily be fixed. Also you will have a new sparkling keyboard there after.

Jasus don't do that! I ran my keyboard over the tap when I split coke over it completely broke it even after leaving it 2 days drying.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,913 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

yeah that would, especially because irish water isn't exactly pure. lots of limescale and electro...damn whats the word. you would want to use distilled water only, if you were even thinking about this method. fortunately the European clothes dryer is an abundant source of distilled water ��

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

stevek93 wrote: »
    Jasus don't do that! I ran my keyboard over the tap when I split coke over it completely broke it even after leaving it 2 days drying.

You obviously done it wrong so. Hopefully you disassembled the keyboard first from the laptop ? coke must have got onto your mobo that's more than likely why nothing works.

Once this is done correctly and dried accordingly it should work. This method is only a last resort but i have fixed many through the years doing this and i know the folks laptop keyboards are still working perfectly fine.

If you do not do this properly allowing it to dry properly then it will not work. This method does work if done right.

Also the heat dissipation within the laptops internals will dissipate any minute traces of garbage that was in the water. But saying this, i wouldn't attempt to try it unless you know what you are doing.

There is a good possibility as well that liquid got onto the mobo so even cleaning the keyboard or purchasing a new one might still not fix the issue. All you need is for any liquid to get onto the mobo and many problems will arise.

• Advertisement

zenno wrote: »
    You obviously done it wrong so. Hopefully you disassembled the keyboard first from the laptop ? coke must have got onto your mobo that's more than likely why nothing works.

Once this is done correctly and dried accordingly it should work. This method is only a last resort but i have fixed many through the years doing this and i know the folks laptop keyboards are still working perfectly fine.

If you do not do this properly allowing it to dry properly then it will not work. This method does work if done right.

Also the heat dissipation within the laptops internals will dissipate any minute traces of garbage that was in the water. But saying this, i wouldn't attempt to try it unless you know what you are doing.

There is a good possibility as well that liquid got onto the mobo so even cleaning the keyboard or purchasing a new one might still not fix the issue. All you need is for any liquid to get onto the mobo and many problems will arise.

Sounds like two days labour costs... (-;
    With the self help videos out there...he would be better off fitting a new one himself (-;

Advertisement