Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vietnam

Options
  • 07-02-2013 9:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭

Howdy

I was wondering if anyone could recommend an indepth book on the Vietnam conflict?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭ledgebag1

Sorry to bump this but maybe someone missed it, i am at a loss really as there are a lot of books by ex military and folks who fought there but the only one I see that goes into strategy and analysis is by harry summers, maybe someone has some feedback on that?
    Thanks in advance guys

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I'd be interested in any recommendations in this area also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Hanoi's War is good http://www.amazon.com/Hanois-War-International-History-Vietnam/dp/080783551X/ref=pd_sim_sbs_b_7
    Too much writing on the war is from the US P.O.V. with the Vietnamese either bystanders or inhuman killers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

Not a book but I would recommend this radio documentary about the My Lai incident to anyone with a spare hour. THe mp3 is downloadable here http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/documentaries/2008/04/080327_mylai_partone.shtml

Thanks guys i got a couple of books ill list them out shortly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

"A Bright Shining Lie"

"The Best and the Brightest"

Would be two of my recommendations......and the best one......"Chickenhawk" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,168 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I'll second Bright Shining Lie. If you only read one book about the Vietnam war, that should be it.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    I'll second Bright Shining Lie. If you only read one book about the Vietnam war, that should be it.

I would be looking for books on military tactics/ strategy, of all involved. Politics behind it etc
    For instance I got LBJ and Vietnam looks into linden Johnsons involment.

Going to start reading "on strategy" a critical analysis of the Vietnam war by Harry g Summers, it seems to be held high and i will let you know what it's like

Advertisement