Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intership/Work Experience in Dublin. Web Dev. Suggestions?

Options
  • 07-02-2013 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭

Hey, so I am student in college doing level 8 degree in computing.
    I know: HTML/5, CSS/3, JavaScript, MySQL and bit of XML. I got lots of free time on my hands and I wouldn't mind doing some kind of Work Experience/Intership/Unpaid work in Dublin. Can someone suggest some place where to look for?

I know enough to be able to set up and get a website running which would include:
    Login/Register,
    Statistics,
    Graphics from some values generating (PHP),
    Use of forms, databases like social network or so. I can't think of anything I wouldn't be able to make really. So any suggestions where to look?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

arleitiss wrote: »
    Hey, so I am student in college doing level 8 degree in computing.
    I know: HTML/5, CSS/3, JavaScript, MySQL and bit of XML. I got lots of free time on my hands and I wouldn't mind doing some kind of Work Experience/Intership/Unpaid work in Dublin. Can someone suggest some place where to look for?

I know enough to be able to set up and get a website running which would include:
    Login/Register,
    Statistics,
    Graphics from some values generating (PHP),
    Use of forms, databases like social network or so. I can't think of anything I wouldn't be able to make really. So any suggestions where to look?

If you have difficulty securing an internship for this I would recomend setting up your own site and simply writing some code. Put together some simple tools and web apps (As a suggestion, maybe a video library that tracks who you lent your DVDs out too, use PHP for the logic and something like bootstrap for the interface). Learn different frameworks and document your experiences.

This allows employers to see some very real examples of your skillset when you finish your course, and it gives you an excuse and a concrete goal to expand your skillset. Maybe you should write the code to be compatible for the new PRS standards? Maybe you should write a simple web app using a framework like Yii or Zend? Maybe you should write a plugin for Wordpress or Joomla?

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭lemon_remon

Pretty much all the large companies take interns for the summer and a lot advertise it on their websites. If you're more interested in working for a smaller company just send some emails around explaining the situation. If you want to be taken seriously though it might be a good idea to write some sample projects and put it up on github, employers love this.

Advertisement