Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Office 2013 Activation Gripes

Options
  • 07-02-2013 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭

Office 2013 requires each PC its installed on to be registered by email and an account setup for the user.

I buy Office licences sporadically and on demand from clients, could be 2 this month and 20 for 3 different companies next month.

Im not looking forward to registering each PC individually so is there a way round this?

I have heard that 5 licences can be activated by one email address.
    I also understand the volume license costs 2x the price as it has extra features centred around an easier activation.

Just wondered how others who work in IT are dealing with this extra labour.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,256 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

platinums wrote: »
    Office 2013 requires each PC its installed on to be registered by email and an account setup for the user.

I buy Office licences sporadically and on demand from clients, could be 2 this month and 20 for 3 different companies next month.

Im not looking forward to registering each PC individually so is there a way round this?

I have heard that 5 licences can be activated by one email address.
    I also understand the volume license costs 2x the price as it has extra features centred around an easier activation.

Just wondered how others who work in IT are dealing with this extra labour.
    Best Buy's Geek Squad previously used a single company email address to activate previous versions of Office. This policy has been discontinued. Considering the close working relationship Microsoft and Best Buy have, if they had to make this policy shift, you are not going to find a worthwhile shortcut around this.

The sad fact is, Office is designed with more security and as a trade-off more robustness for the end user: if you lose your discs, etc. it's on your online account. But this also means the user basically has to set up the account, or provide enough identifying information for a professional to set it up (name/gender/DOB/email and email password/etc). It's also critical in order to allow the user access to Office's new Web-based office suite on Office.com

Office 365 Home Premium allows for 1 account to administrate 5 devices for Non-Commercial use for $99/yr. Office.com has pricing and availability for 365 Small Business for $6/user/mo. they also Have 365 Pro Plus, 365 Enterprise, and 365 for Education and Government. 365 Education for instance is $6/teacher/mo or $2.50/student/mo. 365 University is open to Teachers or Students at third level for 4 years for $80.

For a company you can acquire a single business 365 license and allow the owner to administrate the account; they can then add and remove users as needs demand. For individuals, you're SOL: Office will need to be activated on their own Windows Live/Hotmail account.

Advertisement