Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exams: PASS BY COMPENSATION

Options
  • 07-02-2013 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

So, provisional exam results have been released, this thread for those unfortunate enough to have narrowly missed out on a pass in a particular subject. Could anybody help throw some light on the "PASS BY COMPENSATION" system within GMIT, as per code-of conduct 2012-2013.
    How does one apply for this if they meet the criteria?
    Where & who do they need to contact?
    Generally, how does it work..

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

If you fail 2 subjects in your year you can pass by compensation if you get a minimum of 35%. To do this you need to make up the difference from 2 other subjects. For every % you need you must have double it in two other subjects e.g 10% off one passed subject for 5%. You need to contact your lecturers and they can reject your request if your attendance was poor.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 capall_bo_fear

If you fail 2 subjects in your year you can pass by compensation if you get a minimum of 35%. To do this you need to make up the difference from 2 other subjects. For every % you need you must have double it in two other subjects e.g 10% off one passed subject for 5%. You need to contact your lecturers and they can reject your request if your attendance was poor.

Hope that helps.

Ah ha, so if you have for example 35%, you must have min 50% final grade in each of your additional subjects to compensate? I'm actually in Business school 4th year, but only 1 subject let me down... Do you think I should contact the lecturer of the subject in question, or, do I need to contact head of department/school/registrar exactly? Bit confused about the whole who to contact ... Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

50% in one subject for 5% yep. Go to the lecturer of the failed subject and they'll give ya a better idea.

Advertisement