Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus no longer providing Cork Rome routing.

Options
  • 07-02-2013 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

I used to fly from Cork to Rome 2 or 3 a year with Aer Lingus. This was to visit family based there. Aer Lingus schedule was reduced to 2 flights to week last year and then cancelled over the winter. So far with checking of the website there does not seem to be any indication that this route will be operational again.

From Dublin its possible to fly to Rome or Milan daily and during the summer months you have a choice of Venice, Verona, Naples or Catana in Sicily to name a few but the poor south has nothing.

Can we petition Aer Lingus to reinstate this service before they are bought out by the big bad wolf with the yellow harp.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Petition all you like, but if it's not making them money/they can make more more elsewhere..that's what they'll do. They're a business, not a social service. If there is sufficient profit in flying from the "poor" south to Italy, I'm sure they'll be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Sure, how often was the huge amount of flights you took full?

Petitioning is a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Petition an airline to bring back a route? Waste of time, unless you are a tour operator or a travel agent and you can guarantee them a boatload of business from your company. Even then, its unlikely they'll even give you the time of day. They are business not a charity. It's all about supply and demand. If the demand for the route isn't there, they would be mad to keep on doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

Dublin airport is only a few hours away it's not really a big deal anymore to travel from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

I live right besides the airport and it's so rare I actually hear an airplane nowadays. It's a ghost town. If there is one flight I wish they would bring back it's the Berlin route. Thank god Ryanair are going to Krakow now, somewhere interesting at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,848 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

I dunno, Rennes, Munich, Milan, Gdansk, Warsaw, Geneva are other places that Cork airport has direct flights to with either Ryanair or Aer Lingus.

If I can be honest, a large demand for heading to Rome was wedding tourism but with the recession that market most likely has collapsed badly undermining the viability of the route.

Every route has reasons why it works or doesnt work all year or seasonal (or did work and no longer works) and Rome is no different.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Aer Lingus = Demand lead airline
    Cork-Rome = Loss making route and Cork base canot sustain loss making routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭prochida

gustafo wrote: »
    Dublin airport is only a few hours away it's not really a big deal anymore to travel from there.

Yes it is only a few hours away but then there is additional travel time plus the cost of getting there, either petrol/diesel and parking or bus/train if it can be done without an overnight stay.

What was a 3 hour flight and check-in time becomes a full days travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

agree cork airport is like a ghost town. work in the business park and whenever we go over to the terminal at lunch to use the bank or shop the place is so quite. the gardai and customs people based their must be bored off their tree at times up there
    i think some of the problem is cork airport is also expense for airlines to use, there has been a few occassions where it has been cheaper to use shannon to fly to london than go from cork around the same time. if there was 2 or 3 going on the same trip we have spared 30 and 40 euro each using shannon instead of cork even after everyone contributes to petrol and parking for shannon

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

agree cork airport is like a ghost town. work in the business park and whenever we go over to the terminal at lunch to use the bank or shop the place is so quite. the gardai and customs people based their must be bored off their tree at times up there
    i think some of the problem is cork airport is also expense for airlines to use, there has been a few occassions where it has been cheaper to use shannon to fly to london than go from cork around the same time. if there was 2 or 3 going on the same trip we have spared 30 and 40 euro each using shannon instead of cork even after everyone contributes to petrol and parking for shannon

There is very little in the differance on airport charges at ORK and SNN. Shannon to London will be cheaper as people in Cork will pay more to fly to London compared to SNN. Larger population than Limerick etc.

The problem is airlines like Ryanair. You see they have no problem starting routes aginst another carrier and has resulted in Wizz Air cutting routes and only a matter of time before they pull out of Cork as FR are competing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

You know any time I travelled to Rome, it was always from Dublin with Aer Lingus. Cork would've been too close to home that I preferred having an extra day holier in the Capital before-hand and kicking back in the train coming back. From Cork, I would've been back in the Kingdom within the hour.

Just a brief extension, wind-down time that I preferred. Maybe their were others like me, hence Cork route to Rome being aso quiet.

Actually, since I started venturing abroad, I have only flown anywhere from Cork - twice! Once with a college trip to Barcelona; and then only recently to Vilnius.
    Always preferred departing from Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Well all I know is after waiting for so long for the Berlin route to come back I ended up booking cork-poznan last night. I'd rather get the train from Poznan to Berlin than drive up the feckin motorway...again!

Advertisement