Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urban planning jobs update

Options
  • 07-02-2013 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭

Hi all,

I see that this topic has not been talked about much on this lately or has everyone just given up and stopped talking about it?

I graduated with a B.A in geog, planning and environmental policy and Masters in regional and urban planning in UCD (both high 2.1's) by the time I was 21. Never able to get work experience in planning during my time in college as I had to work to make ends meet. Graduated the December before last so nearly year and a half now. Since graduating I continued to work in retail, looked for any type of planning job, contacted FAS, recruitment companies, planning consultancies and even talked to a local Councillor but to no avail.

I then decided to go for Jobsbridge (don't get me started on Jobsbridge!!!!) and got an internship but not in planning, its more of a research type role. I and other interns have been told from the offset that there is little to no opportunities for jobs after our 9 months (free labor I will add) regardless of our performance and were all still looking and applying for jobs. So at the minute I'm working full time in internship during week, have to work the weekends elsewhere to make ends meet as I do not live at home and I do not even have an interview for any type of professional job to my name. I have obviously applied for countless research type roles since being in my current Jobsbridge role but no luck. I have also broadened the scope of my search for jobs tremendously, tailoring my CV to different sectors etc but no luck either. I have a good CV I always had no problem getting retail positions however I endlessly get no reply or get the usual 'someone more qualified has got the job' bull when i apply for any type of professional role. I am fed up working 50+ hours a week with no reward. Jobsbridge ends soon so now trying to figure out what to do next!

I am now nearly 23, I have had no experience in planning, am broke as a biscuit and am seriously considering looking abroad (although I really do not want to move away). I am soooooo fed up! Is there any hope! ANY AT ALL?????? What have other people done? Any stories/feedback will be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

This is the trying to conceive forum...

Not sure where I'd move this! Suggestions via PM! :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement