Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone still playing?

Options
  • 07-02-2013 2:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hey guys, just wondering is anybody still playing WoL as I'm looking for some platinum Zergs and Protoss for some practice games because the ladder seems to be just Terran these days and I lost everytime I play the other races because I can't get enough practice in...

Even so, is anybody still playing SC2 in general?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Still playing .. was in gold, feel down to silver after a long time not playing. Trying to get back into it before HotS.

Still really enjoy it, despite gaps of playing that can last a few months I can always see myself coming back to SC2, don't think it is every a game I'll not play

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭GosuIrish

im a diamond toss and can play zerg around plat too , if you wanna do some matches just pm and il find my b.net info cant remember it off the top of my head

• Registered Users Posts: 9 isopara

Plat toss and zerg would be interested in practice isopara #358

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

sorry to slightly hijack the thread but what is this like in multiplayer to start off with having never played it before? I see its on sale for €20 at the minute. worth it or would i be wasting my time and get lost in it?
    also, is there much modding in it or extra maps etc that people play?

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    sorry to slightly hijack the thread but what is this like in multiplayer to start off with having never played it before? I see its on sale for €20 at the minute. worth it or would i be wasting my time and get lost in it?
    also, is there much modding in it or extra maps etc that people play?

SC2 has a brilliant multiplayer.

It takes a bit of dedication to get out of the lower leagues (Bronze, Silver etc), and it can be a bit frustrating at the start when you lose games and you aren't really sure why or how to counter what happened. Your first instinct is to throw your hands up in frustration and proclaim that the game is broken. But then you find out how to counter what just happened, and suddenly you win games where this happens (google "Zerg 6 pool").

It is free once you buy the game, so you are free to dip in and dip out as you please. It is also probably the most studied game on the Internet, you can find hours and hours of helpful tutorials from people like Day9 and Apollo and the Liquidpedia wiki has tons of information. Even someone like TotalBiscuit (who some find very annoying) has tutorials for new players. If you have the time there is no easier game to improve in in terms of getting helpful information from others.

It also has the advantage of running of Battle.net using Blizzards match making system, which means you are always matched against people of your same skill level. I've played a few thousand games and my win/lose ratio is pretty much exactly 50% 50%, which shows how good the system is. As you progress Battle.net finds you better people to play against, but when you are new you aren't going to be overwhelmed playing against very good players.

As for custom games and custom maps, there is a section in the game called "Arcade" which is full of them, with new ones being put up every day. They range from Dota type clones to really wacky games (one marine vs 200 banelings is one I saw a while back).

So, yeah, buy it :P

• Advertisement

Thanks Zombrek, think il just install the starter edition first to make sure my laptop can handle it, it should do i think. Im a fan of RTS games but havnt played one in a while so looking forward to this, now i just have to find the time for it

Id recommend this game to anyone its community in a global sense is unmatched people are just so nice but like all you get some trolls but in general its fine if your ever having trouble with the game id be happy to help but then again im only a plat player :D but when i started starcraft 2 one of my friends linked me to the day9 daily and made me watch ep 100 so id advise that :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

the expansion is coming out in 10 days time.. if you buy wings of liberty now you run the risk of having just about no one playing in a few months time

the expansion is coming out in 10 days time.. if you buy wings of liberty now you run the risk of having just about no one playing in a few months time

But can you buy Heart of the Swarm stand alone (genuine question)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Q: Will Heart of the Swarm require ownership of Wings of Liberty?

A: For the regions that have a standard box business model such as North America and Europe, yes, Wings of Liberty will be required in order to play Heart of the Swarm. For other regions that have alternative access models, we'll provide details at a later date.

**** me

charging what they're charging for an "expansion"

that is ****ing incredible

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

**** me

That's outrageous

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

**** me

Why? Even with the original starcraft you had to pay for brood war.

**** me

It seems a pretty meaty single player campaign, almost like a new game.

As for the multiplayer, sure you can't complain, years of free multiplayer action on Battle.net

Zombrex wrote: »
    It seems a pretty meaty single player campaign, almost like a new game.

As for the multiplayer, sure you can't complain, years of free multiplayer action on Battle.net

Yes exactly, it is almost like a new game, so allow it to be ran without Wings of Liberty.

On an unrelated matter, would people be interested in a 1v1 tourney soon after release for that craic?

I'm thinking of jumping into the Starcraft universe so just have a few questions if people don't mind helping.
    Single player wise how long is the campaign for wol and hots(if known yet)?
    What does hots multiplayer bring different to wol, is it new maps, new units to play with?
    When hots comes out next week will the wol multilayer scene take a big drop in numbers? Just fearful that there will be no noobs left and I'll get slaughtered by the hardcore players still left on wol

I'm thinking of jumping into the Starcraft universe so just have a few questions if people don't mind helping.
    Single player wise how long is the campaign for wol and hots(if known yet)?

Think it was about 10 to 16 hours, depending on what achievements you wanted. I'm guessing HotS will be about the same
    What does hots multiplayer bring different to wol, is it new maps, new units to play with?

New maps and new units, which change some of the strategies around (eg Protos now have mother ship core that can defend early rushes or drops, allowing them more freedom to tech up)
    When hots comes out next week will the wol multilayer scene take a big drop in numbers? Just fearful that there will be no noobs left and I'll get slaughtered by the hardcore players still left on wol

Battle.net doesn't work like that, it matches you against people of the same ability. If there are fewer people on WoL (which their probably will be) all that means is it goes further afield to try and find you someone of the same ability. The slight downside is that you might have connection issues if you are playing with someone is Estonia rather than Dublin or London.

The biggest downside to not having HotS is that all the discussion going forward will be about HotS strategies, so you will be relying on old tutorials and videos to help you learn WoL. But I would guess that won't be an a significant problem for a few months, at which point you can just buy HotS :P

Yes i would be interested in a tournament sounds like a good laugh

isopara wrote: »
    Yes i would be interested in a tournament sounds like a good laugh

Just make sure there are "loser" rounds for everyone who isn't in Diamond plus, last tournament I lost in the first round and that was the end of the night for me :P

Ye id even Help to set up a lower bracket if nobody else was interested

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭fiinch

i bought sc2 a few months ago to play with a friend and i cannot believe how good it is, if you do buy WoL i fully reccommend this tutorial about the basics, i wish i'd seen it earlier: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SES1IAGlwDU understanding the basics of macro really made a huge difference, rather than just radomly making units.

i went from losing all my bronze games to high gold, will be plat soon 1v1, and now diamond level in 2v2 and i've only played 200 games.

i wasn't in the HoTS beta but i did watch a lot of Demuslim (pro player) streaming it, from what i see the bio mechanics haven't changed an awful lot for terran so the above tutorial will still be very relevant if that's the race you want to play, the same guy does tutorials for zerg and toss as well though.

• Advertisement

fiinch wrote: »
    i bought sc2 a few months ago to play with a friend and i cannot believe how good it is, if you do buy WoL i fully reccommend this tutorial about the basics, i wish i'd seen it earlier: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SES1IAGlwDU understanding the basics of macro really made a huge difference, rather than just radomly making units.

Those tutorials are excellent.

A little too excellent in fact, I followed the marine only build in 5 placements matches on my practice account and ended up in Diamond playing Masters level players (I'm Silver on my main account) :pac:

So get put in Bronze or Silver first, then start practicing away. :P

Okay well Tuesday the 19th I'll make a thread for sign-ups and the tourney will be on that night around 7pm or so. No point in doing sign-ups now as that will cause no-shows. That'll give people a week to settle into the game somewhat. Tuesday was the best day for everyone last time we did something like this.

Double elimination bo1's with the final being a bo3, everyone will get at least two games. Map pool will be blizzards 1v1 map pool. Extra points for wonky builds

Advertisement