Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pc vs Console modding

Options
  • 07-02-2013 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

So i was reading something and i came across this "I need to define what our definition of "cheating" is. The policy of this site is that cheating is anything that goes beyond the scope of the game, what is included on the original disk, and what is included in future patches from the game's developer".Now if what hes saying is true then this applies to Pc modders as mods where not intended in the original game so hes saying Game companys should ban pc gamers who mod there games.

The arguments about modding seem to be one sided as if you buy a ps3 or xbox 360 you should be able to mod with no complaints as you paid for it , it is your property and all services involved like going online that certain profile is yours and if people say "no you cant" my reply is pc modding has the same principle as console modding there is no legit reason to not allow it.Third party agreements on content should no matter as i have said i bought anything i do wit it is my business esecially if i mod offline which is more preferable as i understand online game shoulld not be modded but offlies should be allowed to mod of course to a certain extent i.e no trophy hacks oor infinite crap only quest mods , enhanced immersion etc. I am confused as to why our rights as a buyer confict with a silly piece of paper that doesnt apply to pc modders which is like saying oh hes on a higher wage well give him this and give the lower wage guy nothing.:confused::mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

krazymo4 wrote: »
    So i was reading something and i came across this "I need to define what our definition of "cheating" is. The policy of this site is that cheating is anything that goes beyond the scope of the game, what is included on the original disk, and what is included in future patches from the game's developer".Now if what hes saying is true then this applies to Pc modders as mods where not intended in the original game so hes saying Game companys should ban pc gamers who mod there games.

The arguments about modding seem to be one sided as if you buy a ps3 or xbox 360 you should be able to mod with no complaints as you paid for it , it is your property and all services involved like going online that certain profile is yours and if people say "no you cant" my reply is pc modding has the same principle as console modding there is no legit reason to not allow it.Third party agreements on content should no matter as i have said i bought anything i do wit it is my business esecially if i mod offline which is more preferable as i understand online game shoulld not be modded but offlies should be allowed to mod of course to a certain extent i.e no trophy hacks oor infinite crap only quest mods , enhanced immersion etc. I am confused as to why our rights as a buyer confict with a silly piece of paper that doesnt apply to pc modders which is like saying oh hes on a higher wage well give him this and give the lower wage guy nothing.:confused::mad:

Not sure what point your trying to make - on the PC you can run any kind of code you want. The console is locked down to run only signed applications, I agree that if you own the hardware you should be allowed to turn it into a toaster if you desired, but issues arise when modifications infringe on the games developers rights to protect their product.

If your talking about modding games online such that the gaming experience is ruined for the rest of the players (an unfair advantage is given to a modder) then restrictions on the console are justified

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

krazymo4 wrote: »

Not if the online group are all using the same mod. If people are running modded games alongside standard versions, then yes, that is cheating.
    The arguments about modding seem to be one sided as if you buy a ps3 or xbox 360 you should be able to mod with no complaints as you paid for it , it is your property and all services involved like going online that certain profile is yours and if people say "no you cant" my reply is pc modding has the same principle as console modding there is no legit reason to not allow it.

This is a different subject. Hardware modifications are not the same as game mods.
    Third party agreements on content should no matter as i have said i bought anything i do wit it is my business esecially if i mod offline which is more preferable as i understand online game shoulld not be modded but offlies should be allowed to mod of course to a certain extent i.e no trophy hacks oor infinite crap only quest mods , enhanced immersion etc. I am confused as to why our rights as a buyer confict with a silly piece of paper that doesnt apply to pc modders which is like saying oh hes on a higher wage well give him this and give the lower wage guy nothing.:confused::mad:

Again like above, if all users in the same party are using the same modification then I don't see the harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,512 ✭✭✭✭Varik

EnterNow wrote: »
    This is a different subject. Hardware modifications are not the same as game mods.

Nope, ban em all and let God decide.

Hardware mods, game mods, those 1960s english scooter guys, and not to forget all Moderators.

Not if the online group are all using the same mod. If people are running modded games alongside standard versions, then yes, that is cheating.

Again like above, if all users in the same party are using the same modification then I don't see the harm.

I wouldn't limit the instances when game mods are cheating to just that, any mod that gives you yourself an unfair advantage is cheating regardless of if every else has it. If it give someone an advantage it's cheating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Varik wrote: »
    any mod that gives you yourself an unfair advantage is cheating regardless of if every else has it. If it give someone an advantage it's cheating.

If everyone has the same advantage its not an advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,512 ✭✭✭✭Varik

If everyone has the same advantage its not an advantage.

I mean the difference if someone has the potential to have it rather than having access to it.

Some games don't require a mod to be actively install, some can have the relevant files installed when you try to connect to the server rather than downloading and either copying file to the right folders or running an installer.

A few of these will simply list them as modded and that could be it, a server admin could be using a modded game that had certain parts hidden or favour a certain team that he himself plays as.

Most cases I was referring to involve keeping something hidden from players and/or admins abusing power.

• Advertisement
Advertisement