Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 8, MKVs and VLC Player

Options
  • 07-02-2013 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭

Posted this on both the Shark007 and VLC forums and had no joy in figuring it out.

I upgraded to Windows 8 64bit last week and updated the Shark007 codec packs to the latest Windows 8 versions but seem to have an issue with MKV files.

For some reason I cannot select VLC player to be the default player for MKV files, only WMP or WMC.

When I right click on a file it does give me the option to play using VLC and it plays fine but when I try to associate MKV files with VLC through the control panel or properties it just wont take.

Have attached a screen capture of the Set Associations for a program page for VLC player and it shows MKV in there but with WMP alongside and there is just no way that will change.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

bucks73 wrote: »
    When I right click on a file it does give me the option to play using VLC

In the "Open with..." dialog should be a check box "Always use this program...", have you tried this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Yep, but never changes. Even when I go into properties and click on Change it doesnt list VLC as one of the programs to use and when I click on select another program and browse to VLC.exe and select it, it still wont use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Delete the following registry keys and try again...

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.mkv\OpenWithList

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.mkv\OpenWithProgids

And the usual warning: backup your registry before performing this operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Tried that but no joy again. Cheers anyway.

In the end I uninstalled and reinstalled VLC and it then worked no problem.

Strange one but sorted now. Thanks.

Advertisement