Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can gardai strike?

Options
  • 07-02-2013 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

why exactly cant gardai strike. i know the whole swore an oath to uphold the constitution etc but why (decisevely if anyone knows) can gardai not withdraw labour. what specific law/ rule backs this up? why can gardai not legally strike??
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭angrykoala

it says if someone induces a garda to strike. what if the garda is not induced and comes to the decision of his own free will

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭pah

That legislation is to try and keep the GRA from instigating the process I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

pah wrote: »
    That legislation is to try and keep the GRA from instigating the process I think
    Who would enforce that legislation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

It's not about the law. That is to prevent organised protest. Individual Gardaí will face disciplinary action the same as if they didn't show up to work on any other day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Zambia wrote: »
    Who would enforce that legislation?

GSOC and management

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭angrykoala

MagicSean wrote: »
    It's not about the law. That is to prevent organised protest. Individual Gardaí will face disciplinary action the same as if they didn't show up to work on any other day.
    so if 3 or 4 thousand gardai initiated strike action of their own free will they would all have to be individually disciplined. interesting

Advertisement