Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The difference in the legal system today when dealing with under-aged prostitutes....

Options
  • 06-02-2013 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

On the journal today, there was a letter written back in 1942. The letter was in regards to two girls aged 12 and 13 who were dragged in off the street for prostitution. The letter goes on to say that the manager of a reformatory school took them into care as the manager didn't believe that they were of the age were they fully knew the immorality of the crime they committed and didn't want them to be sent to prison..on studying these girls, the manageress confirmed that these two young ones knew what they were doing was wrong and that they would continue to do so (basically they were a couple of *insert foul term here*)...If they were let back home they probably would have committed the same crime again..no helping them.. The legal system then sent these two girls to a Juvenile detention center (didn't say for how long)... Now, before I get off the matter of the letter, it also stated that 5 men were arrested for using these two girls services...And please be aware that I'm sure there was a separate letter dealing with these blokes as they would have been deemed pedophiles and I'm sure a conviction was imposed on them....So the people on facebook started giving out about how corrupt the country was and is, and how the catholic church influenced and the usual flame bearing pick-axe wielding dribble...I'm not one for defending the catholic church or the government but I felt that it was using this as an excuse to give out about the country when there are many (tons) more legitimate reasons to give out about it....So basically what I'm asking, in today's times..if two young ones were caught doing the same...Our system today would apply much better facilities and more educated Councillors or social carers to correct their behavior... So counselling sessions, meeting with parents, calling to the house, day in and day out, psychologists etc....applying all the know how disposed to the country at present..If after all else failed and they continued to prostitute regardless of endless hours of social care and rehabilitation, and it was deemed that they were just a pair of scumbags that didn't care how many meetings they would have to attend, they'd still end up going out and prostituting...Would it be right for them to be sent to a juvenile detention center?...
    It would boil down to the reason they did it and I understand but if they had no excuse, i.e. they were eating and clothed everyday etc..I'd like to know your opinions of what would happen.. and if there are any solicitors present..make yourself known as I'd presume you guys would have better knowledge of the legal system than I....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,123 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The matter would not be treated as a criminal one (so far as the girls were concerned) but a child welfare one.

Yes, obviously there would be interventions. And, if all else failed and if the girls were considered to be in danger in the home environment, they could be removed to a "place of safety" (short-term solution) and taken into state care (long-term solution). They might end up in a foster home, or being looked after by more reliable members of their own extended family (though still in state care, and therefore with the state having final authority in decisions for their welfare), or conceivably in a group residential facility (if there were a suitable one, which I think at present there is not) but not in a juvenile detention centre (i.e. a juvenile prison). The Health Board, not the prison service or the probation service, would be the agency dealing with them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Peregrinus is correct. Because they are under the age of 18 no criminal prosecution can take place and they cannot be sent to prison.

They may be brought before the Children's court which can make various orders relating to probation and their welfare including an Emergency Care Order or residential care but there isn't a sort of "prison for kids" option like there might have been in the past.

All such care is done under the auspices of the HSE.

Advertisement