Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post grad social welfare?

Options
  • 06-02-2013 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

I got my degree last year an I'm doing a postgrad now but living at home with parents iv heard that I'm entitled to 80 or so a week regardless of what my parents earn because I'm a postgrad!! Does anyone know anything about this??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,932 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

BWgekko wrote: »
    I got my degree last year an I'm doing a postgrad now but living at home with parents iv heard that I'm entitled to 80 or so a week regardless of what my parents earn because I'm a postgrad!! Does anyone know anything about this??

Two things from the top of my head

One - you might be entitled to jobseekers allowance during the summer months?
    There are two exceptions to this disqualification

persons aged 21 years or over who have been in receipt of JA/ JB for at least 6 months and who are participating in approved courses of education, training or development (as per the section of these guidelines dealing with "special provisions regarding availability"), and mature students, i.e. persons over 23 years of age on or before 1st January in the year in which the course of study commences.

are not subject to this disqualification.

Deciding Officers should note that disqualification while attending a course of study is completely separate from the availability condition. As mature students are exempted from this disqualification, they may be entitled to Jobseeker's Allowance during the summer holiday periods if they satisfy the availability condition in the normal way.

Two - you might be entitled to claim if you are doing a thesis
    (e) Postgraduate (research) students:

Students pursuing a course at Postgraduate level by research only, who do not have fixed lectures or holidays but who work "at their own pace" until the thesis is submitted should have their entitlement examined. Each case should be examined on an individual basis to ensure that the general availability/ GSW conditions are satisfied.

Other than that I can't think of anything

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭100200 shih

No welfare for post grad, no BTEA only if you going into teaching,

No welfare for post grad
    apart from the specific circumstances I just outlined

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭BWgekko

Cheers for the replies.. That's my hopes gone anyway!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 brokenaudio

Two things from the top of my head

One - you might be entitled to jobseekers allowance during the summer months?

Two - you might be entitled to claim if you are doing a thesis

Other than that I can't think of anything

Mango: section (e) on research masters, may I ask where you came across this info? I take it that this means you would be entitled to, if not full jobseekers, then at least an assessment of your situation and a welfare payment of suitable proportion?

Cheers for this, I've not come across it anywhere else..

• Advertisement

Mango: section (e) on research masters, may I ask where you came across this info? I take it that this means you would be entitled to, if not full jobseekers, then at least an assessment of your situation and a welfare payment of suitable proportion?

Cheers for this, I've not come across it anywhere else..

It's on the DSP website

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Jobseekers-Allowance.aspx

If you look on the left and click "operational guidelines"

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 22 brokenaudio

Thanks a mill

Advertisement