Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

webcam installation

Options
  • 06-02-2013 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I have a webcam that worked on a previous laptop which i installed with a cd....unfortunately cant find it and tried installing in on new laptop but says drivers are missing....tried lots of sites but cant locate correct drivers.....anyone able to help?

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

If the laptop is running Windows, this isn't an Open Source question. Let me know and I'll move it to the Windows forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 satsuma40

Yes it is rynning Windows.....sorry and thanks
    oscarBravo wrote: »
    If the laptop is running Windows, this isn't an Open Source question. Let me know and I'll move it to the Windows forum.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 495 ✭✭bootybouncer

ah cmon .....................surely the drivers online somewere ........................... then you can happily get ure bags around ure ankles

Ive tried loads of sites including the manufacturer.....its for chatting to my son in australia actually.....
    ah cmon .....................surely the drivers online somewere ........................... then you can happily get ure bags around ure ankles

Ive tried lots of sites including the manufacturer.....i use it for chatting with my son in australia actually....

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Moved from Open Source.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

What make and model is it? I thought most laptops these days had built in webcams.

FSL wrote: »
    What make and model is it? I thought most laptops these days had built in webcams.
    Its a HP compaq.....bought it second hand...working perfect apart from the inbuilt webcam! Hence my problem

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

satsuma40 wrote: »
    Its a HP compaq.....bought it second hand...working perfect apart from the inbuilt webcam! Hence my problem
    That narrows it down to most HP and rebadged Compaq models sold worldwide in the last few years.

HP are very good at putting unique model numbers on the back of their equipment which you can look up drivers (or camera model) on www.hp.com

Thanks but it not the hp one im trying to install. Its a technika vga webcam

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

unplug the camera

if there is an entry for it in device manager (control panel - system / right click computer / manage ) remove it

then pop it back in and see what the it detects - google for that name if it's not generic

in linux you'd just type lsusb and it would give you the exact model

in windows you have to drill down to device ID in device manager , pick the device, properties, details, hardware ID and the google both of the 4 hex digits after VID and PID - this will give you the generic Linux name and then google back from the linux description to the windows name and google forwards for the windows driver

of course this will all be a wild goose chase if the old PC used a different n OLD version of windows and there is no driver for the new version (moral don't buy that brand again unless the hardware really is obsolete)

of course this will all be a wild goose chase if the old PC used NEW version of windows and there is no driver for the old version ( like the way old D-Link drivers were pulled :mad: )

webcams cost less than a tenner if you shop around, less than a fiver if you really shop around

Thanks for that

It shows up in device manager as unknown n properties say the device drivers are missing so checks for them n then says cant be found!

Think I be buying a new one so save a lot of hassle!

satsuma40 wrote: »
    Thanks for that

It shows up in device manager as unknown n properties say the device drivers are missing so checks for them n then says cant be found!

Think I be buying a new one so save a lot of hassle!
    like I said you have to drill down

linux and windows are different , not having to drill down and being able to cut/paste the ID numbers is so much easier, and if you can't find a linux driver fairly quickly it doesn't exist so much time and stress saved.

it's possible to export the drivers from the other machine, but who knows if they'll work on another version of windows - http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/system-administration/copy-windows-drivers-from-one-machine-to-another/

like I said you have to drill down

linux and windows are different , not having to drill down and being able to cut/paste the ID numbers is so much easier, and if you can't find a linux driver fairly quickly it doesn't exist so much time and stress saved.

it's possible to export the drivers from the other machine, but who knows if they'll work on another version of windows - http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/system-administration/copy-windows-drivers-from-one-machine-to-another/
    Did what u suggested and goggled the VID and PID number and hey presto found the driver and now cam is working!
    Thank you so much for all your help:D

Advertisement