Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on a kayak trailer?

Options
  • 06-02-2013 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi all,
    I have 3 kayaks (1 sea and 2 sit on top) and a failing back so instead of loading roofrack all summer I am thinking getting a trailer. Option A is commissioning a new trailer designed for the job. Option B is buying a second hand trailer and fitting bars onto it. Has anyone done either before? Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭NathanKingerlee

Try contacting Outdoor Education Centers (http://www.oei.ie/index.php) or Kayak Clubs and seeing if they have an old trailer they would sell.

Otherwise the most cost effective option may be to get a second hand open top car trailer and simply stack the kayaks in the base with some tight ropes over them. If tied properly it would be fine for the kayaks to protrude a little over one end of the trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sureidunno

Hi I am currently making my own trailer from an old dis-used trailer I own. The biggest thing I am concentrating on is keeping weight to a minimum as I don't have a E+ B (trailer) licence. If the trailer is over 750 kg fully loaded you will need one.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 42inchchest

Got the trailer today. Delighted with it. Lockable storage up front for seats and lifejackets as well. Had a hard time getting someone to do it but worth the wait! Load bars are roofrack so just transfer cradles etc from car and sorted. Thanks for replies.

WP_000166.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭MikeOis

42inchchest Got the trailer today. Delighted with it. Lockable storage up front for seats and lifejackets as well. Had a hard time getting someone to do it but worth the wait! Load bars are roofrack so just transfer cradles etc from car and sorted. Thanks for replies.

Hi, My friend is looking for a similar trailer, could you post or (PM me) how much it cost? where you got it?
    Its perfect and well wear with it!!

Thanks

Mike

Pm sent..cheers, put 3 on it no problem and plenty of room for fourth. Paddles can be strapped under the bars too which is pretty handy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Banbh

I have an old Mirror Dingy trailer, with a couple of cross bars and some insulation foam. A trailer is much more comfortable than manhandling canoes onto car roofs. I paddle with my kids and that means I have to do all the heavy work three times over.
    I'm working on a slide for dragging a kayak over seaweed, rocks etc. Wheels and trolleys are fine on a flat surface but has anyone a design for a ski-type of yoke?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 tractorjaws

Pm sent..cheers, put 3 on it no problem and plenty of room for fourth. Paddles can be strapped under the bars too which is pretty handy

Hi there, how much did this cost you? looks great, can you pass me on the makers details please?

pm sent

Advertisement