Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macbook Pro Vs Macbook Air

Options
  • 06-02-2013 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I searched the forum and didn't find any recent (post most recent hardware updates to both).

To be honest, I think have made my decision but just in case you guys have any opinions or know of anything I should be aware of.

It's just going to be used for iTunes, web browsing etc, my library is going to reside on an external drive. Have no needs for huge processing power as I will not be recording music or doing any sort of major photo editing, maybe a little photoshop here and there, nothing massive though.

I'm leaning towards the Macbook Air 128GB SSD, 4GB..

Your thoughts?

Cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

For the requirements you posted, I think you're leaning in the right direction. Are you considering the 11" or the 13"?

The macbook Pro(non-retina) is due a refresh any time now.
    Macbook Air is getting towards the end of its cycle (usually around June).
    *These are guesstimates based on Apples historical refresh cycles.

If you're buying from Apple, take a look at the Apple refurb store, you should save a decent lump of money and will get the same warranty as a brand new machine. I would challenge anyone to be able to tell the difference between a brand new machine and a refurb.

Alternatives to consider:
    2nd hand macbook, macbook air from the likes of adverts.ie.
    2nd hand iMac (if you don't need portability).
    Mac mini (if you don't need portability).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

It'll definitely be a 13. I just noticed, the Macbook Air isn't Retina?

I do want it to be portable, just in case the need ever arises to pose in Starbucks........... ;)

I'll jump over and have a look at the refurbs now! Thanks.

I have the 11" MacBook Air for when I'm out and about, fantastic machine. Considering moving to the 13" myself.

I've always had 13" laptops, found them to be completely mobile. I'm a little disappointed about the lacking of Retina screen, but I just saw the price difference it's off the scale!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭apachedropout

The thing to watch out with the Air is you can't upgrade the ram because it is soldered onto the motherboard. I used to have the 2011 version and it was a fantastic machine, very light and very fast at the same time, however the lack of upgrade possibilities kind of bothered me.

And just like Graham said, go for the refurb ones. I got it in Harvey Normans for the full price because I was impatient and I regretted it later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Ronan

I've a refurb 13" air on order from apple, exact specs as OP. It should arrive early next week, I can post pics/details of the condition if that helps? Although it will be exactly the same as a new one ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭bonnieprince

The thing to watch out with the Air is you can't upgrade the ram because it is soldered onto the motherboard. I used to have the 2011 version and it was a fantastic machine, very light and very fast at the same time, however the lack of upgrade possibilities kind of bothered me.

And just like Graham said, go for the refurb ones. I got it in Harvey Normans for the full price because I was impatient and I regretted it later.

+1 for 13" Macbook Air, had a MB Pro 15 and the difference is noticeable especially the weight! Order mine with 8GB & 128GB SSD to be safe. SSD can be replaced later on if needs be.
    Really enjoying the Air "Experience" so far.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, really appreciate it! I will be going with the Macbook Air for sure, sounds like it's precisely what I'm looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

+1 for going refurb!! Have bought a refurb iPad from them and just recently ordered a refurb 13" MacBook Pro!

Best of luck with your choice :-)

mumof2 wrote: »
    +1 for going refurb!! Have bought a refurb iPad from them and just recently ordered a refurb 13" MacBook Pro!

Best of luck with your choice :-)

Where do the refurbs come from? I see a 256GB SSD one for the same cost as the new 128GB.. Are they tainted in some way? Scratches or was it a previous h/w or s/w fault that had them returned? Or am I asking questions that can not be answered :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

Where do the refurbs come from? I see a 256GB SSD one for the same cost as the new 128GB.. Are they tainted in some way? Scratches or was it a previous h/w or s/w fault that had them returned? Or am I asking questions that can not be answered :D

:D

I havn't got the real answer as no one really knows why a previous consumer would have returned the item, but I suspect a h/w or s/w fault.

My iPad works perfectly and other than Apps closing by themselves for some unknown reason occasionally, I have no problems. Am very happy to get a refurb MacBook Pro from them based on this. Also there are warranties attached same as a new one, and if it does have a scratch - does that really matter when you can save Eur 200 on the price versus New?

Include:
    Returns within the cooling off period
    Cosmetic damage to part (damaged part subsequently replaced with new)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I've an 11-inch MBA. I love it, though I do kinda regret not getting the 13-inch. That said, I wanted an ultra-portable machine and the 11-inch fills that role nicely.

I'll probably get a 13-inch Retina for my next my Mac.

You can't upgrade the RAM in the Retina MBP either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

I can't fault my 11" MacBook Air & use it for all d same features you would be using it for. I woulda bought off refurb store here but picked up a new one in the States & saved a few quid with the exchange rate.

Enjoy your purchase.

Cosmetically it will be like new, as mentioned above they are also just cooling off returns, over orders from large companies etc... You could use the money saved to get apple care in 12 months if you are worried.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33153_7-57351004-10391733/shopping-for-an-apple-product-choose-refurbished-every-time/

Refurb it is! Hopefully it doesn't take too much longer!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Pipmae

I LOVE my 13" MacBook Air.

I returned the first one that was shipped to me because there was a fault with the keyboard. When I was touch typing the letter t wasn't responding to my liking. It wasn't typing with a light touch like the rest of the keys. So I returned it and they sent me a brand new one which was perfect.

I'm sure the fault would have been fixed in mine and then sold on as a refurb. It would have been perfect once the fault was fixed - I used it for no more than two days.

My refurb arrived today, perfect condition as anticipated. As promised here are some pictures, hope it puts your mind at ease that you made a good decision!

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/267/photo1pm.jpg

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/189/photo2bo.jpg

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/145/photo3wi.jpg

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/812/photo4ec.jpg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Just in case people think the refurbs are always going to be perfect:
    "Apple Certified Refurbished Products are pre-owned Apple products that undergo Apple's stringent refurbishment process prior to being offered for sale. While only some units are returned due to technical issues, all units undergo Apple's stringent quality refurbishment process.

They are in 100% working condition, and are then sold as refurbished product. As these refurbished products have been unpacked and manipulated, they might however exhibit some minor cosmetic imperfection, such as scratches, marks or discolorations."

I don't think it happens often, but they have covered themselves anyway. if you're not happy with it you can always return it for a refund anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭creativedrinker

Hey, I'm int the same boat as to trying to decide which model to go for, I would be using it for iMovie (may be getting final cut as well with the savings) and apperature/iPhoto, trying to decide between the mac air 13" or 13"pro i7,

Would there air be able to handle video editing as well as the pro, it being a i5 vs i7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Im regretting buying the 13" mac air, I have it for sale, and will replace with a pro,

I just found the screen too small for my needs, bad move on my part,

only 3 months old, and packs an i7, 256 ssd and 8gb ram, so if your on the fence regarding a pro/air, and want an air with all the horses you can get under the bonnet

not a refurb, so if anybody is interested, is as good a brand spanking new, see my siggie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

If you'd made that post last night, I would've thrown my 15" MBP at you! I snapped out of it this morning though!!

lol....pro retina im after,
    might just have sell one of my kidney's :)

Well, I got the Macbook Air, I ended up just buying it in CompuB on Saturday. I wanted to have a hands-on look and I just said "F*** it", "Gimme one of these, please" :-) Delighted with it! Thanks for all pointers dudes.

and I actually got a 13" pro retina last Sunday, a guy swapped me for my air on adverts.ie :)

Deal...., sooo happy with it, and kidney's still intact :cool:

Stuxnet wrote: »
    and I actually got a 13" pro retina last Sunday, a guy swapped me for my air on adverts.ie :)

Deal...., sooo happy with it, and kidney's still intact :cool:

All out results!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭McGrath5

I see Apple have the 13" MBP Retina model on the refurb store for €1319, tempting.

I see Apple have the 13" MBP Retina model on the refurb store for €1319, tempting.

That's a serious deal to pass up.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Desenzano2000

Hi Guys. Did any of you try buying refurbished Macbook in USA? Does warranty covers any repairs in Ireland or you need to pay any shipping and taxes for repairs in US?

"If you seek service in a country that is not the country of original purchase,
    you will comply with all applicable import and export laws and regulations and be responsible for all custom duties, V.A.T. and other associated taxes and charges. Where international service is available, Apple may repair or exchange defective products and parts with comparable products and parts that comply with local standards."

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Warranty is worldwide.

Advertisement